Do size matter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Can anyone tell me if a 15mm pushfit will fit the old half inch copper pipe, Reason i want to add an outside tap and the nearest pipe happens to be the old half inch. :!:
Many thanks
Montycaboodle

Sponsored Links
Yes but expect it to leak considerably at some point. You can buy pushfit adaptors.

Theres no difference between 15mm and ½"imperial copper pipe The only problem I can foresee is if the pipe has expanded due to being frozen in the past. Use a pipecutter rather than a hacksaw when you cut this pipe as the raggy bits will damage the rubber 'O'ring in the push-fit fitting you could file them off but proper pipe-cutter is manufacturer recommended.

It's highly unlikely that the pipe you are referring to is actually ½"OD pipe which is a different animal usually found in LPG and industrial applications but I'm just letting you know of its existence just in case .

SLug you must be young?
Imperial sizes, so Half inch pipe, was the normal size up until the early 60's I think. Anyway there's loads of it around still. It is NOT the same size as 15mm. Half inch was measured Internal diameter, 12.7mm, and 15mm is measured OD and is a bit smaller.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
SLug you must be young?
Imperial sizes, so Half inch pipe, was the normal size up until the early 60's I think. Anyway there's loads of it around still. It is NOT the same size as 15mm. Half inch was measured Internal diameter, 12.7mm, and 15mm is measured OD and is a bit smaller.

Can I join in :LOL:

1/2" is compatable with 15mm.

3/4" is slightly smaller than 22mm.

1" is compatable with 28mm but can be tight in with some fittings.

11/4" and 11/2" well you don't use that size anyway but one fits and one you need a convertor

For pushfit, at least some of the makes, 1/2" is not compatible with 15mm. They make adaptors to go between the two. If you put a 1/2" pipe in a 15mm fitting you will be stretching the O ring beyond its design.

For copper pipe fittings, the two sizes are usually sufficiently close that they are interchangeable, but some 15mm compression fittings are too tight to accept a 1/2" pipe. Others like Conex will take either. Some 15mm olives won't go on 1/2" either.

From BES, Speedfit:
Connects imperial to metric pipe.
Suitable for central heating systems.
Part No. Description Unit Price
1/2" i.d. x 15 mm
£1.28

I think chris is referring to the old grade one copper, which i think is slightly bigger due to the thicker wall.

Rubbish. I am referring to the imperial standard 1/2" copper tube which everyone had. It is not, was not, and never will be the same size as 15mm. They are a different size . OK?

It has got absobloodylutely nothing to do with the wall thickness!

SLug you must be young?

They used to call me young slug back in the 70's and 80s I'll take that as a compliment ;)

Spent the winters of 82 and I think 83 doing little else than repairing burst pipes in outhouses on mostly post war and some pre war council housing . Do remember having problems with a few jobs but I put that down to the pipes having expanded due to freezing and expanding but not bursting. The older pipes were a lot thicker than they are now and I got away with carefully filing the pipes down a bit in the worst cases and getting a conex on them, kuterlite fittings were a ball ache. Acorn fittings now known as Hep20 had only just come out then.

Theres no difference between 15mm and ½"imperial copper pipe

Half inch was measured Internal diameter, 12.7mm, and 15mm is measured OD and is a bit smaller.

I should have been more specific then and said that theres no significant difference as the difference is approximately equivalent to a gnats knacker

I only use Hep20 pushfit and what follows only applies to that
Ok if 15 is slightly smaller which I concede, that means the 'O' ring in a push fit should be a bit tighter and the fitting harder to get on a ½" pipe. Assuming the joint is lubricated with silicone and the pipe cut properly so that the o ring doesnt get sliced up when pushing the pipe in the joint should be sound. If it doesnt leak at the start it never will.
If you put a 1/2" pipe in a 15mm fitting you will be stretching the O ring beyond its design
I have confidence in Hep20 that they can take it, backed up by the fact that they only have a provision for ¾ imperial pipe on the following web page http://www.hep2o.co.uk/v2OConnection3.cfm

I would like to thank one and all for their help in this matter.
I will try an adaptor and will let you know the result.
Thanks all again
Montycaboodle

Hep don't do an adaptor for 1/2" so you might assume that their 15mm will be OK but that's not an assumption an Engineer would make. There are several other near-equivalent sizes which would not fit. That's how cock-ups happen.

If it doesnt leak at the start it never will.
I wouldn't be that optimistic, having seen a score or so hep pushfits start leaking some time after installation.

The whole point here is to dispel the untruth that 15mm is the same as 1/2".

Whether the difference is significant depends on the application. If the pipe doesn't fit the fitting, I'd call that signficant!

Fitted a half inch to 15mm speedfit adaptor to connect old to new copper. Assumption being the mother of all upfucks -pipe wasn't half inch after all but 15mm, hence half inch too loose. Got very wet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back