Do you believe that extra terrestrial life exists?

If there is no space outside .of our expanding space time continuum then our continuum cannot expand because there is no where for it to expand into.

there is nothing, no time, no space, nothing, our space time is simply inflating just like it did after the big bang, before the big bang, there was no space and no time, the phrase before the big bang has no meaning really, there was no before.

Sponsored Links
there is nothing, no time, no space, nothing, our space time is simply inflating just like it did after the big bang, before the big bang, there was no space and no time, the phrase before the big bang has no meaning really, there was no before.
Unless the 'before' was a universe that collapsed in on itself resulting in a big bang.

Unless the 'before' was a universe that collapsed in on itself resulting in a big bang.

Well it's another theory, the most popular theory at the moment is the universe keeps expanding until the energy distribution is so low that all particles fall apart, and it fades to nothing again, possibly followed by another big bang.

Maybe were all trapped in an infinite cycle of existing in infinite cycle of universes between 19xx and 20xx, if so, can I please leave a note for myself, reminding not to marry my ex wife? or am I destined to make that terrible mistake ad infinitum, which is a depressing thought?

Sponsored Links
Is that a theory that's been put forward as well Bobby?
I think Stephen Hawking was leaning that way.
But you need to remember that time wasn't always as we know it. And the ever decreasing size of the universe before the big bang might not have followed the same time pattern as we understand it. Perhaps some kind of space - time, which to us might appear as extreme slow motion.

Well it's another theory, the most popular theory at the moment is the universe keeps expanding until the energy distribution is so low that all particles fall apart, and it fades to nothing again, possibly followed by another big bang.
And then gravity starts to take effect and everything starts to decrease in size again, until ....boom, another big bang.
But as just said, time would have no relevance to us, in that scenario.

There is no "we" only me :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Bernard - are you starting to feel we're actually in a forum of astrophysicists rather than a builders/diy forum? lol I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie or Trazor have an experimental time machine in their garden shed :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
And then gravity starts to take effect and everything starts to decrease in size again, until ....boom, another big bang.
But as just said, time would have no relevance to us, in that scenario.

No, in the constant expansion theory, gravity also fades to nothing. To be clear, nothing means nothing here, not a vacuum , but nothing no space time.

I've been watching a few YT vids recently re: flat earthers, both those who believe in a flat earth and those who don't. I find them interesting, often frustrating and in many cases lol funny even when they're not supposed to be! The flat earthers often get really angry about the premise that the earth is a spinning ball, spinning at great speed around the sun. Okay everyone's entitled to their opinion, however whether or not you subscribe to everything science tells us about earth and our wider universe, some of the stuff those guys believe is emmm, interesting! A common thing they argue is, if the earth's spinning so quickly, why don't we fell it?!? If water always finds its level, why do the oceans curve around this supposed globe earth?!? Most of them don't believe the ISS is real, they don't believe the moon landings happened and many of them think the sun and the moon are also flat.

I won't link to any of them, however one guy gets very animated about all this, thinks anyone who believes in the globe earth has succumbed to the globe earth cult and essentially thinks we're all idiots for not starting to conduct our own experiments to prove or disprove the globe earth model.

No, in the constant expansion theory, gravity also fades to nothing. To be clear, nothing means nothing here, not a vacuum , but nothing no space time.
From both a practical and theoretical problem how can you being to understand nothing though as a concept. There is no known example of "nothing" - how can one imagine "nothing"? I have a feeling that at this level of conversation, physics, mathematics become intertwined with questions of philosophy

Maybe were all trapped in an infinite cycle of existing in infinite cycle of universes between 19xx and 20xx, if so, can I please leave a note for myself, reminding not to marry my ex wife? or am I destined to make that terrible mistake ad infinitum, which is a depressing thought?
haha :LOL::LOL:

From both a practical and theoretical problem how can you being to understand nothing though as a concept. There is no known example of "nothing" - how can one imagine "nothing"?

It's very difficult, if you take speech or the written word, it always has tense or reference to time. I went, we did, I'm going to, all of it infers time. So even trying to get your head around nothing is difficult, as we as humans or any living thing is slave to the construct we call time.

It's very difficult, if you take speech or the written word, it always has tense or reference to time.
Kind of, but some languages do not have a past or future tense as English does. Some languages use a construction that translates as : I eat already, or I go already, as a past tense.

I've been watching a few YT vids recently re: flat earthers, both those who believe in a flat earth and those who don't. I find them interesting, often frustrating and in many cases lol funny even when they're not supposed to be! The flat earthers often get really angry about the premise that the earth is a spinning ball, spinning at great speed around the sun. Okay everyone's entitled to their opinion, however whether or not you subscribe to everything science tells us about earth and our wider universe, some of the stuff those guys believe is emmm, interesting! A common thing they argue is, if the earth's spinning so quickly, why don't we fell it?!? If water always finds its level, why do the oceans curve around this supposed globe earth?!? Most of them don't believe the ISS is real, they don't believe the moon landings happened and many of them think the sun and the moon are also flat. I won't link to any of them, however one guy gets very animated about all this, thinks anyone who believes in the globe earth has succumbed to the globe earth cult and essentially thinks we're all idiots for not starting to conduct our own experiments to prove or disprove the globe earth model.
Morning diy :)
What would be the motivation for a conspiracy to trick people into thinking we've got a flat earth?

Sponsored Links
Back