do you have to have a roomstat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother is in the process of renovating a house to live in. He has had most of the work completed, new electrics,pipework for central heating, plastering ,etc and his plumber has coming back next week to install a Worcester combi boiler. His plumber has told him that he must have a roomstat in the system. My brother does not want to start messing up the new plasterwork by channeling for cables and wanted to fit temperature valves to all rads only but his plumber said he must have a roomstat also.Is this right. Could you experts please give some advice .Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yup, building regs state that a room stat to be fitted aswell as TRV's.
Why not fit a wireless stat, no wires. Think there is one dedicated to the manufacturer or fit any other make and get sparks or heating engineer to connect the reciever up.

As far as I know a room stat is now required under building regs.

Your brother does NOT have to mess with plastered walls. He can buy a remote thermostat which is operated by a radio frequency. Danfoss is a well known maker of these stats. There are two parts, a receiver and a transmitter which is the same size as a programmer and will fit in the same back plate. The receiver can be moved around the house at will and is about the same size as a wired room stat.

There is a an advantage with having a room stat, in as much as its so easy to switch the heating system on/off, once you have all the trv's set. This is a lot of trial & error but well worth it.

Sponsored Links
Not in Scotland yet but you being in England will :D

the reason for a room stat is simply, the boiler must have an interlock. the easiest way to do this is to fit a room stat.
the other problem is if you fit TRV's to all rads and they all shut down the boiler has nowhere to send the heated water and as a consequence overheats.

a minimum of 2 rads should be fully open and again the easiest way is to leave the bathroom and 1 other room without TRV's the other room being controlled by the room thermostat.. (usually in hall or lounge) but can be anywhere that isn't subject to draughts or heat sources. this is to avoid nuisance switching.

Bought a remote room thermostat only 2 weeks ago. It works well and I can take it into any room we are in and adjust the temp from there ...really good.
I simply removed the old timer from the boiler (Baxi 105e) and fitted the receiver in the same place (wires were the same) that was more or less it.. mind you we had a bit of an issue in that sometimes it would not work over a certain temp, found that the existing wired room thermostat had to be turned right up (I've not removed it yet) to avoid it over riding the new thermostat. i'm assuming that when I remove the old thermostat I just need to connect the two wires inside together (i.e. permanently on)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back