Do you still buy magazins/newspapers.

Sponsored Links
Coming to think about it, before the net and before Teletext, you had to wait until the shops/offices open to get/seek info or details nowadays a few clicks on Google and you are there, incredible.

Yep, even though I have seen it through from the very beginning of computers, I am constantly surprised by far it has progressed and the speed of progression. Back in the 70's when I used to try to explain where we would end up with computers and what they could do, I was told it wouldn't happen. Every single thing you wanted to know back then, you had to buy, borrow a book, or find someone who knew. How much easier now you just Google for the strangest of answers to questions.

The advent of instant/internet tv and more recently of the smart speakers and so many more radio stations means at bedtime you just blurt out the name of the station u want to hear, change inc volume, the time you want it to turn off etc.

I make do with having to reach out and push the sleep timer on my bedside old faithful Sony ICF 2001, for an hours worth of music.

Btw, the last time I read a book is more than 29 years ago. The advent of instant/internet tv and more recently of the smart speakers and so many more radio stations means at bedtime you just blurt out the name of the station u want to hear, change inc volume, the time you want it to turn off etc.
I still read plenty of books - although if there is a picture I can't quite make out, my instinct is to 'pinch to zoom' - this functionality isn't always supported by printed media! :ROFLMAO:

All book readers in my sibling family. Both parents, seven children of their own and 4 cousins that lived with us for a number of years. We all learnt to to read and write at an early age and those of us surviving still read books as opposed to kindles. There is something about the texture and smell of the printed word whereas electronic devices just don't have anything. They feel sterile and don't convey any emotions whilst using them. If people want to know what I would like for Christmas/birthday I just ask them to get me a book. Usual material is WWI & WWII, anything to do with DIY especially woodworking and on the fiction front I prefer older crime novels/thrillers such as Morse, Frost, Holmes etc I also like true crime and criminals.
Gave up on newspapers years ago when I discovered you can get up to the minute news on TV and computers. Don't bother with gadgets such as Alexa or the other one. Prefer to choose my own TV station and what music I listen to by browsing my CD collection.

Sponsored Links
Good post Conny.

You are right about the smell/feel/etc of the hard stuff.

We got Google smart speakers but then later got Alex as they have a better sound and tie in with our Ring security. We use modern gadgets with the old stuff and talking re old stuff - Columbo - must have watched many of them up to ten times each

All book readers in my sibling family. Both parents, seven children of their own and 4 cousins that lived with us for a number of years. We all learnt to to read and write at an early age and those of us surviving still read books as opposed to kindles. There is something about the texture and smell of the printed word whereas electronic devices just don't have anything.

I started school ahead of most of them, in terms of ability, they even had me teaching others in the class, but I then dropped behind, when they insisted on me becoming right handed, tying my left behind my back. I guess the treatment put me off reading and writing for a long time. That until I discovered libraries and with a bit of help, taught myself to read, my first book, Jungle Book, the original, took me many weeks to get through. After that I blasted along, but my hand writing never, ever recovered - I still use the 'wrong' right hand.

There is something about the texture and smell of the printed word whereas electronic devices just don't have anything.

Yes, much more pleasant and you can stick a toffee paper in to keep your place, if you take a break :)

Don't bother with gadgets such as Alexa or the other one. Prefer to choose my own TV station and what music I listen to by browsing my CD collection.

I'm a bit of a useful gadget freak, but I have never tried (and wouldn't want to) read a book on such a thing. To see of I could find a use for such a device, I bought a Nook tablet for both me and my original partner, before she passed away. She hadn't used a laptop bought for her and I thought a tablet might grab her interest, but no. My own interest was mostly technical in wanting to know what they could be used for, that a PC couldn't do. Best use I found was in downloading audio books from various free libraries around the world. My partner had passed away, I would go to bed a bit early and listen to an audio book, using a 'pillow speaker'. I re-'read' some of the wonderful stuff I had read from my early teens, all that Wells wrote, including for the first time The Invisible Man, I had only seen the film, lots of the classics, some of the Greek classics, even some of the stuff we had been forced to read and study in secondary school, which due to the slow pace, I had just not enjoyed.

Must admit, I am sometimes terrible at reading. I will sometimes read something and my mind will wonder off thinking about a line I had just read, yet my eyes and half my mind continues to scan the page without really taking it in.

Many people do though, my son had 2 friends doing paper rounds every morning, plenty of people still get papers delivered

Where we live we have really old people who are on average in their 60's and two doors up get their papers as well as one on the corner. Next door goes our and gets his. All are 70/80+

There is something about the texture and smell of the printed word whereas electronic devices just don't have anything.

I saw last year that John Lydon had a new book out called 'I could be wrong, I could be right', Having read his autobiography 'No Irish, no blacks no dogs', I decided to buy it, it's a series of musings and thoughts rather than a story. Went on line to buy it, not available on Amazon, only from the publisher. TWO HUNDRED QUID.
WTF?, turns out it's a limited edition, 10,000 copies each signed by Mr Rotten. He can **** off I thought.

Anyway, Christmas just gone, Mrs filly asked if I'd like it as a present, I told her I couldn't even think about it at £200. So, a week later she said that Amazon are doing it for £150, still not interested, a week before Christmas she found out that the publisher were now selling it for £50, Oh go on then I said.

I've got to say that the quality is stunning, it's a traditionally bound book, top quality paper and comes in a beautiful presentation box. I'm about halfway through now and it's still in the box, I'm almost frightened to turn the pages for fear of damaging it or spilling wine on the pages, it really is a thing of beauty.

I quite like young Johnny.

I saw last year that John Lydon had a new book out called 'I could be wrong, I could be right', Having read his autobiography 'No Irish, no blacks no dogs',

Have you read his other book 'Anger Is An Energy"? I recommend it, he has a superb writing style, very entertaining on any subject. Steve Jones's book 'Lonely Boy' is good also. He and Johnny don't get on!

Have you read his other book 'Anger Is An Energy"? I recommend it, he has a superb writing style, very entertaining on any subject. Steve Jones's book 'Lonely Boy' is good also. He and Johnny don't get on!
Lydon's co-author, the music writer Andrew Perry, took the sensible decision to stay true to Lydon's singular mode of expression and thereby convey his personality

Arrived last week.(y)

Sponsored Links
Back