Do you use neodymium magnets for jobs/projects?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently learnt about neodymium magnets and there seem to be heaps of different shapes and sizes available (e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Magnets/119111/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=neodymium+magnets).

I understand that these strong magnets can be used in electric motors and generators, and some people use the big ones to go magnet fishing (!).

I was wondering what home uses can the small neodymium magnets be put to? I'd be keen to hear how they can be used around the house (inside or out), or in projects.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I tried to make a magnetic saucepan lid holder thing once, but I discovered that stainless steel is not magnetic :(

what home uses

• Stud finder for screwing heavy objects to stud walls.
  • The chuck key for my drill press stays stuck on the belt cover with a disc magnet, so I don't lose it or put it down where it gets lost amongst the junk pile!!
  • Wall tool holders for flat items, like a plasterers trowel, which has no hanging hole of course.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
I use 12mm dia neo magnets when making kitchens.

1 magnet in the top of the door and a matching 1 in the face frame.

The door magnet is set further in.

The magnets cant touch, they are about 1mm apart.

They work really well, a positive pull, but you dont have to tug to open and a door stop with a 5mm thick felt pad means a silent stop.

https://www.first4magnets.com/circu...ymium-magnet-2-5kg-pull-p3626#ab_1-1|ps_2-714

They do magnets up to 2000kg pull :)

You need north and south magnets.

Neo magnets are brittle and break easily.

Sponsored Links
Just don't get your fingers between them as they snap together :)

I had a go at making this with the kids - it didn't work as well, but did move.

We also made a Jet powered model car using a bean can Jet engine (pulse jet) but we couldn't get it to move much. I think there is a lot of engineering required to focus the thrust.

image.jpg I pop magenets, out of hdd's in the odd pockets of clothing when doing jobs. very handy to stick removed screws/ bent nails or store driver bits and small tools on the outside.
litl

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
We use them at work for door closers (metal door) they have a hole in.
This makes them very useful for all sorts of things, for instance I have a soldering iron stand (the springy bit) that has 2 on and with this I can use the iron almost anywhere when working in the factory (lots of stainless steel around).
I have an LED lamp that has 2 on so I can use it when I'm in a small\mobile hot cupboard so I can see (my body blocks the light).

I have not managed to use one to extract a metal splinter yet... Pity.

I have not managed to use one to extract a metal splinter yet... Pity.
Funny you should say that but, Ive used one several times to take metal filings and rusty bits out of my eye, I stick a masonary bit accross one which has a nice smooth curve on the shank and carefully get it in close, I know it shouldnt have got bits in there in the first place and im not recommending my method but it has saved a 40 mile round trip to the hospital.
litl

image.jpg As we know, Another use for magnets is picking up pins,small nails, or rusty things but small bits of rust break off, this makes it difficult to pull off powerfull magnets
Place the magnet in marge tub or the other side of a plastic lid, then when the objects have been picked up hold it over a container and pull off the magnet releasing them.
litl

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back