Dodgy bricks or dodgy builder!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm asking this on behalf of my in-laws who live in Stanton near Bury St Edmunds.

They are retired and live on a retirement age park home. They refurbished their home and as an enhancement they paid a local builder to add a brick built elevated patio. It measures approximately 2m x 2m square with a wrought iron fencing.

As far as I know the builder has given it one skin of bricks and then filled the centre (however my father in law does not know what he filled it with). 2 years after him building it is has started to collapse with the mortar crumbling.

They have called him back to look at it and he has told them that the bricks that were used were a dodgy batch and therefore not his responsibility. However, I think it is in part down to the fact that he didn't brace the structure, and only did one skin of bricks and as far as I am concerned if he supplied the bricks (which he did) from his own supplier then that is his responsibility and he should replace the work correctly at his own expense.

Has anyone else heard of this?

The in-laws are currently away on holiday but are back in two weeks time so I can post pictures then, but any advice would be welcome

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
dodgy bricks? yes that will be it, after all the companies that make bricks in this country have only been doing if for a few hundred years to extremly tight standards! How is collasping, in the middle where the paving is or the walls themselves?

When you say elevated patio.. by how much?
Photos will help.. also how is the handrail fixed down? is it on the single skin wall?

If the bricks are faulty then the builder remains liable and must claim any losses from his supplier. If workmanship is faulty then the builder is obviously liable for the lot. My advice is get a chartered building surveyor to inspect and report on the work and materials. Depending on the findings you might need to then consult a solicitor.

My experience of these situations is that it is usually easier to get the problems resolved yourself and seek monetary damages from the builder. However, (assuming the builder is proved to be in the wrong) you should tell the builder the result of the inspection, tell him clearly what must be done to put things right and give him the opportunity to carry out the works. If he refuses you will then be in a stronger position.

Worth just bearing in mind though that whilst it might be the builders liablilty it may not necessarily be his fault, and having to deal with it is likely to cost him a lot of time and money.

Sponsored Links
To those of you kind enough to respond to this post, my mother-in-law has now posted her own topic (see link below) and I would be grateful if you could have a look at it as there is more information and she has included pictures.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=223669

The topic is called "Collapsing Bricks - advice required urgently"

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back