Dodgy Builder No DPC above new upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A year ago I converted a house into 3 flats. The ground floor windows were totally replaced with new upvc. 2 windows were fitted into existing sized gaps and 1 resized larger to match a previously smaller window space.

There is now substantial damp on internal plasterboard reveal of resized window although the others are experiencing it too but to a lesser degree. Initially thought it was condensation and it might be a little bit but there's too much for it to be totally that.

Being in cumbria, a huge amount of rain in the past few months has meant water is getting in somewhere. As this project was done to building regs we had to thermally insulate the external wall and did so except above the windows as there was no space to fit thermal board between wall and windowframe so it is single layer of fireboard not helping if cold bridging is happening on top of there being a leak.

There are 4 concrete lintels above the upvc window and I suspect water is coming in there
similar to the guy in this thread
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1137238

My question is
1. should the builder have put some sort of a dpc layer /dpc tray around/above the window?
2. Are the drip beads sufficient?
3. Does anyone have an image of what a dpc layer installed above a window should look like. I have googled and trawled through diynot but only found stuff for cavity walls but not solid walls which these are.

Below are images of the damp inside and the outside of the building - you can clearly see the area's that have been remortared around the resized window. I assume the black line between flats is a DPC and interesting next door have something different going on between levels.

I suspect he maybe also forgot to waterproof in the mortar when re-rendering. He's now not in business so need to instruct a new builder to redo.

4. What should be the correct process of going about fixing this?

Any advice would be really helpful as to where to start. Thank you in advance :)

[/url]

Sponsored Links
There is no obligation to install a [DPC] tray for replacement windows. its just replacing what was there, that's all

For the enlargement of an opening and fitting of a new window, it could be argued either way depending on the precise work content. Perhaps a lintel with a built in tray could have been fitted, perhaps not. Or perhaps a tray would be needed further up the wall and outside the scope of the work

For an image, google for cavity tray

That is, assuming that the walls are cavity and not solid :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The walls are solid so i'm guessing a cavity tray is not appropriate.

The drawings were passed by building regs but didn't have anything related to windows and the building surveyor didn't specify anything either with respect for the lintel specs.

must be very frustrating for you. Hope you manage to get this issue sorted sooner rather than later

Any advice legsakimbo??? Was hoping you might frequent this post with some rendering advice if poss please :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back