Dodgy Christmas lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered some christmas lights from eBay, they're clearly chinese but the ones I ordered last year I had no issue with.

These ones are concerning me though, because of the plug and cable that comes from the plug.

It just doesn't look safe, but perhaps it is. Can someone please advise...

xmas1.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is completely different
Foreign-Plugs2.JPG
if you look at the three adaptors to the left has a fuse the other two are devoid of any fuse and that is the problem with the report linked to.

The plug you show is however fused and with correct size fuse should not be a problem.

BS7671 does give a minimum size of cable and it may be it is below the minimum size which may mean it does not comply but that does not make it dangerous. I would fit a 1A fuse but that is a non preferred size so as long as fitted with 3A fuse likely OK.

I also have a house with all outlets RCD protected but that is down to house owner and one can't really condemn lights because house does not comply.

Clearly there is always a danger but if I had a set looking like picture I would not really be worried.

I was of the understanding that a flex with cores no less than 0.5mm2 CSA, could be fitted to a plug. It's in my head not sure where I have retained this from, not got BS7671 to hand, so not sure if I recall seeing it in there?

Sponsored Links
Table 52.3 - Minimum cross-sectional area of conductors

Gives 0.75mm² but old 16th Edition Table 52C (524-01) was 0.5mm² however with 1A fuse it would not really worry me.

The flex isn't double insulated, they don't comply with British safety regulations and are a risk, I wouldn't use them. Keep the plug and bin the lights, get a refund from the seller too!

All Xmas lights I've seen with cable like that have had a transformer.

Does BS7671 cover portable appliances?
As you know, no - and I have to say that I have always assumed that Table 52.3 relates only to 'fixed wiring' (even though it gives the minimum CSA for flex). However, more to the point, as has been pointed out, that cable is only single insulated (and very probably isn't even 0.5mm²), which is not very good news, even if there is a fuse in the plug.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all of the replies.

There is a fuse in the plug and they do work fine, but I don't feel comfortable using these outside where I want them to be.

Out of interest, anyone know what the white box on the cable is?

Out of interest, anyone know what the white box on the cable is?
Oh - I had rather assumed that it was a switch (upside down). Is there anything written on it? Does it get warm when the lights are working?
... but I don't feel comfortable using these outside where I want them to be.
One of the unknowns is what is coming out of that 'white box'. If it's mains voltage electricity, that cable would really not be a clever idea outdoors.

Kind Regards, John

Oh - I had rather assumed that it was a switch (upside down). Is there anything written on it? Does it get warm when the lights are working?
No there's nothing written on it at all so I really have no idea.

I haven't left it on long enough to see if it gets warm.

I had assumed it was some kind of transformer but have no idea how to find out. If I knew then I would just buy a 'proper' transformer and connect that up instead.

No there's nothing written on it at all so I really have no idea. ... I haven't left it on long enough to see if it gets warm. ... I had assumed it was some kind of transformer but have no idea how to find out. If I knew then I would just buy a 'proper' transformer and connect that up instead.
Yes, that'sobvioulsy what I was wondering. However, I fear that you are starved of crucial information - and, FWIW, I personally wouldn't use that cable outdoors unless I was sure that it was carrying very low voltage (which it might be, if that thing is some sort of transformer or power supply).

Kind Regards, John

The white box looks more like a choke or surge surpressor as fitted on computer cables and HDMI cables.

The white box looks more like a choke or surge surpressor as fitted on computer cables and HDMI cables.

That's what I was thinking, I couldn't remember what they where called.

They have a ring of iron, or is it a magnet? Was never sure what they actually did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back