dodgy electical work??

Sponsored Links
molinari said:
Firstly, whilst finishing off the work 3 days late, one of the workers was wiring in a plug socket. He'd turned off the power at the fuse board to do this and when he turned the power back on, the fuse for the lower ring main blew - big black marks on the fuse board above and below the fuse. I pointed this out to him and he took out the fuse, stripped some old wire from an old socket and wrapped it around the fuse.
I'm pretty sure that this constitutes criminal negligence.

1. Never let this company into your house again.
2. Report the company to whatever industry body they claim to be registered with.

lots of instances of sub-standard work
I was told that they have broken electrical regulations with this work but I'm unsure as to which items he was specifically talking about, so if anyone here could point this out to me I'd be grateful.
All of the items you listed.

I want to know whether I can get money taken off of the bill because of having to have their mistakes fixed; I'd rather not have to pay twice for the work.
You don't have to pay twice. You have extensive consumer rights. Consult your local CAB. They should tell you the following:

1. If the work is carried out with reasonable skill and care then you are entitled to withhold payment.
2. You should inform the company, in writing, of the problems and hold them liable for rectifying them.
3. If the company is capable of rectifying the problems then you should allow them to.
4. If it isn't capable (and this one isn't), then you're entitled to engage a competent contractor and to deduct the cost of rectifying the problems from the first company's bill. Tell them this before you engage anyone else.

How did you find this company, and how did you verify the credentials of those people doing the work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back