dodgy engineer.Where do i stand ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a faulty outside sounder that refused to stop ringing constantly and the keypad was reading sab tmp,so i called in an engineer who said his ladders couldn't reach it but he could stop it and return the next day to repair/replace with longer ladders.

Long story short he stopped it and went on his merry way,@ 02:30 we were woken by the smoke alarm and found smoke coming from the loft hatch (no flames) and once fb had doused it emerged he had connected the small alarm wire to the mains in order to stop the noise.

We contacted the firm who told us that their engineers didn't work that way and that this guy had left the company.

Do i have a leg to stand on as my system is still knacked. :cry:

Sponsored Links
DO IT NOW, make as many notes about what happened, in what order, who you called, times, where he went, what he said what etc etc, take as many photographs as possible.

First thing in the morning get in touch with your local Trading Standards department, don't be fobbed off, get them out asap.

Also get an appt. with your solicitor, get him to write to the alarm company with your intentions, don't let this one go.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

ps - How long ago did this all happen?

DO IT NOW, make as many notes about what happened, in what order, who you called, times, where he went, what he said what etc etc, take as many photographs as possible.

First thing in the morning get in touch with your local Trading Standards department, don't be fobbed off, get them out asap.

Also get an appt. with your solicitor, get him to write to the alarm company with your intentions, don't let this one go.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

ps - How long ago did this all happen?

first things first is to not believe everything you read on the internet

What a load of cobblers. In what way would 240 volts connect to a 12v dc system? And how would that last until the middle of the night?

Load of nonsense.

Sponsored Links
What a load of cobblers. In what way would 240 volts connect to a 12v dc system? And how would that last until the middle of the night?

Load of nonsense.

Cheers joe i come on for advice and get branded a liar,a local electrician told me it looked like the engineer had tried to blow the sounder up with the 240v but instead of just giving it a quick blast he wired the small alarm cable to the mains and left it connected and the cable goes out from the loft through the insulation causing the smouldering.

As you might have gathered i'm not an engineer but just need advise.

Load of nonsense.

Cheers joe i come on for advice and get branded a liar,a local electrician told me it looked like the engineer had tried to blow the sounder up with the 240v but instead of just giving it a quick blast he wired the small alarm cable to the mains and left it connected and the cable goes out from the loft through the insulation causing the smouldering.

As you might have gathered i'm not an engineer but just need advise.

is this before or after you connected your own sounder ?

TBH I dont believe a word of it

TBH I dont believe a word of it[/quote]

Before obviously that is why i needed to know how to connect a sounder as mine was slightly blown up.

TBH I dont believe a word of it

Before obviously that is why i needed to know how to connect a sounder as mine was slightly blown up.[/quote]

nope dont believe you - tell you what either say who the firm is or post your email address so i can mail you to get the details, I`ll ring em and if your right I`ll act as your expert witness pro bono

This practice for silencing an external sounder is not uncommon, I've heard of it being done several times. (especially if its raining and the alarm guy can't be bothered to get his ladders off the van)

This practice for silencing an external sounder is not uncommon, I've heard of it being done several times. (especially if its raining and the alarm guy can't be bothered to get his ladders off the van)
Thanks i have got some sense off of someone on here at last.

Its an urban myth - same as the abonimable snowman

IF this guy did what the poster is claiming its a police issue NOT something you`d post about on an internet forum so -

put up or shut up and tell who the firm was

STILL WAITING

Looking @ some of your other replies to questions it seems fairly obvious that you know little about a lot so i will not be taking ANY of your advice but thanks anyway.
My problem is well on its way to being resolved without any of your suspicious bitchy advice. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back