Dodgy Gardener

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello…I am so nervous to approach my gardener. But at the same time I don’t want to waste police time either. I hired someone to do my garden. He asked if I needed my trampoline removing as the wind had battered it. I am alone with my autistic son. So I thought this was helpful of him. He took it down for me and told me to call a metal collecter. I did. He asked to be here when they came. My son had a sensory swing frame in the garden. I had took it down for during the winter months and planned to put it up when the weather was better. The metal man came and left. My gardener vanished with him. That day so did my sons swing frame. My gardener told me he went back home with the metal man because he had his own metal to remove. But I suspect he stole the frame. I don’t know. He openly told me he took my yard brush as he thought I didn’t want it, as the handle was broken. It was a very good yard brush and I was getting the handle replaced so I asked him to bring it back. He never has. I wanted my gate and fence treating. He told me it would take a ton of pain to cover it. I bought three large tubs. I just found out when I went outside that he has stolen the three tubs. Replaced them with two other tubs of fence paint. I also caught him taking a wee in my garden. My son plays out there I can’t have that. I don’t know how to approach this. I feel sick inside as I am alone and he knows it. Any advice would be great. Should I tell the police for instance ?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I had a similar experience but they cut the conifers neatly and for a low price.

Blup

Tell him he can't be there when your kid is about and he's off school for xyz reason.
Then never call him again.
Tradesmen do this all the time nowadays, so...

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a name, registration of vehicle, anything in writing, nothing much the police or anybody can do really.
You can report a crime, and should, but it probably won't go anywhere. The metal will be sold to a scrap dealer by now and sent away for processing.

Is this man your regular gardener or just someone you hired/employed to do a certain amount of work?
If the latter, then the chances are you won't see him again. If you hire/employ him on a regular basis then you should approach him regarding your sons swing. It may be helpful to have a friend/neighbour present when you do so you are not alone and have a witness to what happens.
If you feel you can't speak to him the I suggest you refuse to employ him any longer. You don't have to tell him the real reason, just say you can't find enough work for him to do to justify him coming round or tell him with all the rising costs these days you are having to cut back on non-essentials.
As others have said, I'm afraid you probably won't see your sons swing again.

The fact that he got in the van with the scrap dealer is odd. Suggests he got a lift there in the first place, and that they were working together. Probably not a gardener, but a thief posing as a gardener to clear gardens of scrap metal.

Hi all, many thanks for replying so swiftly. Sorry for not getting back till now. He is my regular gardener. He text me the day I posted for help on here, asking if he could come and continue work. I told him not this week. Sadly he does know my sons disabilities and that he is home schooled. So I am going to just say that due to the rise of living costs, I cannot afford him right now and that I will call him when I can. Then I just won’t. Thanks for all the advice. I will just have to find away to do my garden myself as I don’t think I can trust anyone again

all the best

First of all I think you have done the right thing by telling him the cost of living has meant you can no longer afford him. Don't be swayed if he says he will do the work and you can pay him at a later date. He will probably just rack up spurious charges without your knowledge and then hit you with a big bill at some later date.
Assuming, (correctly or incorrectly), that you are able bodied yourself then general gardening can be an immense pleasure. If you take things slowly you will get a feel for what you can do, such as light digging if necessary, weeding, (you will learn what are 'bad' weeds that will try to overtake your flower beds/garden), and selecting what flowers to plant/sow that give you pleasure. You will make mistakes, we all did and still do even after many years of gardening. For any heavy stuff see if you can work around it. e.g. moving heavy stones. Leave them where they are and turn them into a feature such as a rockery with some small alpine plants between the gaps. Use levers to move heavy objects a bit at a time and don't overtire yourself to get things done in a certain time frame. Gardens are ever changing things and should never be rushed. Forget about these DIY SOS garden types of programmes, it's simply not feasible, (or enjoyable), for ordinary people to do things in that manner.
If you buy garden 'furniture' such as a new swing for your son or a seating set, or any other item to go in your garden, ask when you buy it if they offer an installation service or ask if they can recommend someone that you can trust to build it for you at a fair price.
If you need any advice over something that you are puzzled about or want to know how to do/use something then just post on here again. There are plenty of people with good knowledge always willing to offer help and advice. Put your 'old' gardener in the past and forget about him. If he speaks to you in the street be polite and end the conversation as quickly as possible without being rude, (even if it means telling a white lie or two, just don't let him back into your life/garden). Take care and hopefully we will see you on here again, if only to let us know how things are going.

Last edited:
Totally agree with conny.
I would only add this: if you need to move something heavy or build a frame for your son, ask your immediate neighbour.
If you already have a good relationship with them, it will make it stronger and if you don't know them (like many in the city) it will be an opportunity to build a friendship.
In my road we all help each other.
When one of us is on holiday, someone tends to the gardens.
It's a very pleasant atmosphere.
We have 4 foot walls separating our gardens and in summer is like being in a resort.

I do usually have a quick proof read to be honest. Don't know how I missed it. Cheers JP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back