Dodgy joint but it seems ok...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just "finished" plumbing in two new radiators. Gravity fed system with Rayburn boiler. 15 and 22mm copper pipe with solder ring fixings. It's all gone pretty damn well, the circuit to the rads has all been pressure tested and I'm happy with it. The one joint I'm not happy with is the T to join it all up to the main circuit.

I think there was a bit of water left in the pipe from my pressure testing. As such I didn't really see the lovely ring of solder appear when soldering. I gave it loads of heat but it just wouldn't appear. The joint doesn't move when I give it a wiggle, and I've refilled the system and tested it and it all holds and doesn't leak. It's not in a place where it gets mechanical stress. I would have pulled it apart at the time and re-done, but it was such hard work to force the T in in the first place.

So, should I drain it all down and refit the joint (cut it out perhaps)? Or just nail the boards back and forget. There must be connections in far worse shape in the system as it's a pretty old house.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, if I was at all concerned about a soldered coupling, I'd redo it.

Better safe than skint IMO.

I've known many a joint hold water until the flux melts............then:(
Have you fired up the Rayburn yet ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back