Dodgy laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got this wood effect laminate stuff in my living room, and the way the edges have been done seems really weak and a bit shoddy. It's been siliconed in around the edges, which I thought was a no-no (doesn't it need to float, and isn't it normally beaded?), and the 5cm or so nearest to the wall all the way round seems really weak (it wobbles if you press it, and there are noticeable cracks there). See pic below of the bit around the radiator pipe...

My defects period on this place is coming up shortly so I'd appreciate any advice on what I can suggest the builders do (orb what they ought not to have done). Thanks very much for help / advice!

Err. sorry the picture is on its side!

Sponsored Links
Why let the builders put your floor down? As with most they don't do a proper job.
Anyway enough moaning.
Is your flor a vinyl click? Or is it all glued down like a Karndean type floor.

It's a housing association thing. Actually mostly it's been done OK, but the floor that came with it doesn't look the most durable... I don't know anything about the karndean stuff, but I think it's the vinyl click type. I can feel slight ridges along the lengths of some; not sure if there's another way of identifying what it is? I laid a vinyl one myself a while ago, hence me thinking that you weren't supposed to gum up the edges. And mine didn't have flappy edges either...

If it's the click its on underlay if it's stuck down it should not move.
Hard to say off the picture.
But if sticking up then it's fitted too tight.
The click should have a 3mm expansion gap. But it does depend which one.

Sponsored Links
as you need a 10-12mm empty and unimpeded expansion gap around the edge
your floor fails on every level
that visually looks poor and will never be other than a poorish equivillant diy job

...so would you suggest there's anything specific I can say they've done wrong? Is there anything that can be done to improve it? The photo is of the worst bit on the edge, but perhaps if they removed the mastic and put down beading it'd be likely to last longer?

you should have a bigger gap round the pipes and laminate pipe collars
yes clear out the silicon and use a trim over a 10-12mm gap
a picture off a doorway would be interesting :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back