Dodgy phone calls

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
I was getting at least one call a day, mostly won a holiday, double glazing
sort. One evening I got three the last one really got it, which paid off as he gave me a number to phone which would stop 99% of unwanted calls.

I cannot find the number (sorry) but he did tell me that almost all telephone sellers in this country are bound by the rules of this organisation and that you are entitled to ask for their phone number which they MUST give you.

I have not had one call in over two years, so it really does work.

When you speak to them you are told it takes 4 weeks to come into action and you are given another phone number, which you call if you are bothered again, and the member faces a heavy fine.

Best of all it's completly FREE.

Sponsored Links
It is the same with junk mail you can call the mailing preference society.

Do you think you just substitute telephone for mailing? just guessing really though. Trouble is most of us just can't be bothered and needlessly put up with it.

The calls which annoy me are the ones Masona is talking about. I thought premium rate lines had to be registered with Oftel or someone. surely they or the OFT know about these cons or do they come and go that quick? I notice a few are from America and Canada, would our rules not apply to them?

david and julie said:
I notice a few are from America and Canada, would our rules not apply to them?

no because they are not in the uk.

not that i have looked (that hard) but some sex chat lines have an international phone number (probably now india) i presume thios is done to get around some UK law, which backs what i said, calls from outside the uk are not governed by UK "associations"

reminds of the certain credit card advert (geg )

"Ah yes you have won the ..........lottery based here in holland, ...............oh yes its 100% genuine, .............i will just pass you to the claims department, claims department, Roger speaking "

the bit the tickles me is the bloke at the end " there's one born every minute"

How true he is (if only i could find them :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
That is terrible what happened to Dragon and his mother, I can't believe someone could be so insensitive and try to offer you the "prize" after that. Idiots.

You know what could be fun, pretend that you are some kind of secret agent when they call, start giving "coded sentences".

"Hello, would you like to buy some windows?"
"I am not certain, is the glass from Pilkington of Moscow?"
"Eh?"
"The weather in Leningrad is unusually clement this year"
"You wot mate?"
"Good, you are my contact."
"Contact?"
"Yes. Now, do not send your man here or he will certainly be killed. Your life is in danger too. Grey Squirrel is on his way over to make sure you don't talk to MI6. He intends to silence you and silence you well, Boris.".

xxxxxxrich said:
I have got the facility where you can block individual numbers from calling again (Not sure what they called it)

If it's BT's it is called Choose to Refuse.

Some of you may find this useful. www.tpsonline.org.uk

There is also a phone number for silent calls. 0870 444 3969.

Registering with both takes minutes and is free, they are suitable for both BT and NTL.

They had some moron who runs a "telemarketing" (i.e. spam calling) company, on BBC news. He had great objections to TPS. Apparently if one person in a company, even a large corporation, at any level, signs themselves up to it then the telemarketers aren't allowed to call that company anymore.

Oh boo hoo.

Oh, and have you seen that a guy in America is sueing a spam mail company over *ahem* "personal enhancement" pills... apparently (gosh, shock horror) they don't work. But, they say they do so that is against all the consumer laws.

The 'TPS' seems to have done the trick for me. Mon to fri I would get at least 1 call a day, usually between 4pm & 7pm, saturday it could be at any time. I registered about 6 weeks ago, cant remember the last nusance call.

As far as junk mail goes I seem to be on the list for take away food, I think its impossible to stop these flyers, short of removing the letter box.

david and julie said:
Some of you may find this useful. www.tpsonline.org.uk

There is also a phone number for silent calls. 0870 444 3969.

Registering with both takes minutes and is free, they are suitable for both BT and NTL.

Thanks David & Julie, I'll give it a try!

When I lived in my last house I would regularly get phone calls where once I picked up the phone all I would get is a recorded message which said I had won a holiday and to press 1 for more details / claim the holiday. For a time I would regularly get these almost every evening. Sometimes if it happenned whilst I was out it would leave a message on 1571. Eventually it seemed to stop happenning and I have a new number now and it hasn't happenned since. I would also get lots of calls trying to sell kitchens and the usual stuff.

Every one I have ever told about this has said that they never had it themselves. Has anyone here ever heard about it?

i have heard of it, its alleged the calls cost £150/ min (no typo, yes £150:00/min)

the get out clause by the company is that the "recepriant" requested information (by pressing the 1 button) and so £150/min is justifiable

Sponsored Links
Back