Dodgy Plumber ruined my bathroom - What can I do?

It's three quotes actually. And why not use someone who has been rated by several previous customers? I agree that established firms that do a good job will always have more than enough work, but I've used a couple of new people who are trying to get established and who don't have enough recommendations by word of mouth yet. I think they pay 40 pounds a quarter to get the proposed jobs and then it's up to them if they want to quote. The site itself is very well run and has helped me out quite a lot. I have rated the people who did the work and they can rate me as a customer if they want - seems like a good system to me!

Sponsored Links
why not use someone who has been rated by several previous customers?

.....because on those sites it's usually a doddle for a cowboy to also pose as satisfied customers and claim that the job was perfect and that they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Yeah I figured not many people would have much sympathy. To be honest, it's a case of learning a lesson a hard way.We are young, naive and a first time buyers - we were so skint that we just couldn't afford a lot of the quotes and we haven't had a shower for 2 months (in our house I mean, not that we haven't washed for that long) and we were desperate.

The site is mybuilder.com - you can see the tradesmen's profile and they are left feedback. I naively assumed you have to pass some sort of guidelines to be able to give customers quotes on there, but apparently anybody could pose as a tradesperson.

The bath was fine - maybe he did use the masking tape to cover the mess he'd made. I know I shouldn't have paid him really, and I know he should have finished the job, but he'd been in my house two days, and the longer he was there, the more he was damaging my property, my walls were getting more holes in them, and him saying things like "don't worry, we'll shove some more gunk in," just made me want him out of my house.

I just feel I should report him to someone because he'll end up doing dodgy workmanship in somone else's home, and I don't think it's right. Isn't there some body or guild I can report him to?

I just feel that my property has been damaged by him and I don't want to just let it slide....

By the way I didn't pay him the full amount, we told him we wouldn't pay what we'd originally quoted as it wasn't done to standard.

Isn't there some body or guild I can report him to?

if he was a member of one yeh, but its pretty unlikely I'd say. Your only hope is trading standards. But you need a reasonable amount of info. If you tell them his names dave and you only have a mob number, they probably won't do alot.
When you employ a tradesmen its important to have proper contact details, you know the details of any trade associations they belong to and that they hold PLI. If you don't check these things then your asking for trouble.

Sponsored Links
You could always leave some feed back on the site, and maybe a couple of pics.

Op, I feel for you. You did what you thought was right and looked up someone on a site which seemed to be based on recommendations. Sadly you've been stung, and other than providing feedback on the site with pics as doitall suggests, that's probably the end of the matter.

Back to the matter in hand, if you can post some pics on here too then we may be able to suggest ways forward, which although you're possibly not going to tackle yourself, may provide other things to look out for next time. We may even be able to give you an indication of an approximate cost.

For example, it may be cheaper to buy a new bath than get the old one repaired - the cost of metal ones aren't always significantly higher than plastic ones.

hey guys, thanks for all the comments.

Rang trading standards who said they think ive got a good case. Some legislation about losing faith in the competency of the tradesman so ommiting the need to give him a chance to rectify anything. they said it didnt matter i paid cash in hand, ive given them his address and we'll go through the various processes now....

Just ringing 100s of (qualified) plumbers to try and get the job done. Does anyone have any tips on ensuring a skilled plumber carries out the work? Obviously I know you should ask for references and papers, but is there anything else? I'm terrified of being stung again!

hey guys, thanks for all the comments.

Rang trading standards who said they think ive got a good case. Some legislation about losing faith in the competency of the tradesman so ommiting the need to give him a chance to rectify anything. they said it didnt matter i paid cash in hand, ive given them his address and we'll go through the various processes now....

Just ringing 100s of (qualified) plumbers to try and get the job done. Does anyone have any tips on ensuring a skilled plumber carries out the work? Obviously I know you should ask for references and papers, but is there anything else? I'm terrified of being stung again!
Good luck with the claim. As for finding someone reliable, in the first instance asking round your neighbours may help - if anyone has had work done at least you may get a chance of seeing the quality for yourself. Physical rather than internet recommendations stand a better chance of being accurate.

I just cannot imagine how masking tape could pull the original enamel off a 50 year old cast iron bath!

davey76 - sorry for delay, only just saw your comment after being alerted to the one left today by Agile. The adviser I spoke to said normally if there was a problem, you should let the tradesman try to rectify the problem, otherwise if you take it to a small claims court, the court may very well ask you why you haven't done this first. However if you don't have any confidence that the person actually has the competence to resolve the problem in the first place, you can claim "loss of faith." (Sorry, I guess it's more a 'ground' on which to claim than actual legislation.)

Agile - I have no idea either. It was literally peeling off like eggshell! Only thing I can think of is that the previous owners got it spray painted on the cheap to make it look presentable for potential buyers being shown around the house.

It was literally peeling off like eggshell! Only thing I can think of is that the previous owners got it spray painted on the cheap to make it look presentable for potential buyers being shown around the house.
That`s what it was ! - I could probably have identified it on my pricing visit , and informed you . Having had experience of Bath Restorations , you can tell a refurb from original vitreous enamel . Original post 2009 - what is the outcome now :confused:

You've been pleasantly surprised; but this thread is from someone who has been unpleasantly surprised.

Most reputable tradesmen have nothing to do with internet based 'get a quote' sites.

There are all sorts of reasons for this;

- they already have enough work
- they only quote for jobs they have seen
- there is a higher proportion of 'messers' on the internet than on phone based enquiries
- the person obtaining the quotes has to describe the work and this is hopeless
- the person posting the job is encouraged to get 5 responses. This leaves the tradesman with a 1 in 5 chance of securing business. This is not a worthwhile ratio of time to invest.
- there is a good chance that the work is a pipe dream anyway from someone who is just window shopping

Given the pitfalls above it is only the desparate and unqualified who need this type of lead generation. The web sites will continue, most us of in the trade will get on just fine without them.

To answer the question, get 2 local plumbers in to advise you and write off what you have done so far.

Simon, couldnt have put it better myself :)

No sympathy im afraid for the OP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back