Does 2-way rotary dimmer exist (NOT push on and off)???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the 2-way rotary dimmers I can find are push-on and off, and twist/rotate to dim. I need a 2-way rotary dimmer that twists/rotates to dim AND twists/rotates to turn on and off (NOT push on and off). Do they exist?

Sponsored Links
They do not exist.

Consider what would happen if they did:
1. Light turned on using dimmer.
2. Light turned off using the other switch.
3. Now turning the dimmer does absolutely nothing. Turning the dimmer to OFF would activate the switch and turn the light on, but since the dimmer will now be at minimum the light still won't work.

They do exist although quite rare, most I fit seem to be push on/off.

However, you can get rotary on/off which also dim - to switch off you turn down (dim) until it 'clicks' off. Reverse for turning on. Can't think offhand of a brand though...

Sponsored Links
They do exist although quite rare, most I fit seem to be push on/off.

However, you can get rotary on/off which also dim - to switch off you turn down (dim) until it 'clicks' off. Reverse for turning on. Can't think offhand of a brand though...

But presumably they are 1-way. I was seeking 2-way, but as flameport explained, 2-way twist on/off can't work, so they don't exist.

Flameport is not correct. Either that or I'm, dreaming that the two way lighting in my kitchen is dimmable when switched on from either the switch or the dimmer. I have push on/off dimmers, so you don't even need to look for a rotary on/off

SB

Yours are push on /off

The OP wanted twist on / off, which don't exist for 2 way.

Ahh, OK I see now - I thought that the OP wanted rotary on/off as he thought this would be the only way to dim after switching on at the switch but he want's them for some other reason then..

Thanks SB

The only alternative I know of are something like these touch dimmers: clicky These can be used in a master slave arrangement so is possible to use them for switching from more than one location.

only ones i know of are similar to the TLC ones in the link above never seen anything except these and push button ones
used to be able to get ones with a brush chrome front (had them in my bedroom a few years ago)brilliant! might still be available from a good wholesalers

just had a quick look but can't find anything better than TLC like the 4 gang 2 way might get one of those for our place!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back