Does adding a spur from the MCB require Part P?

0*6p6vN8bPHKbcxiS4.

Sponsored Links
You don’t need a fused spur switch if it is on the lighting circuit. Part P is a building reg, nothing more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses everyone.

perhaps I wasn’t clear but yes, I was expecting the chime box to have an AC/AC bell transformer in it, as it looks identical to every other chime box I’ve seen which did. Instead it had 4 C-cells in it, wired to the door bell button and the chime solenoid. Not something I’ve seen before but probably more common that I thought.

The plan is to drop a doorbell transformer in there instead as all the bell wiring can be reused, it’s just a question of how to get the mains supply to it.

Sounds like taking a spur from the MCB is fine because it’s not a new circuit. Obviously will be careful to ensure the whole CU is isolated before doing anything.

cheers!

Sounds like taking a spur from the MCB is fine because it’s not a new circuit.
Indeed.

In passing, what you are talking about would not normally be called 'a spur', since most people only use that term in relation to ring circuit (and perhaps also where a branch from a radial circuit has smaller cable than the rest of the circuit.

Domestic lighting circuits are nearly always 'radial' circuits (not rings) - and a radial circuit can (and often does) 'branch' at any point in the circuit - and that 'point' can be anywhere, even where the circuit originates at an MCB (or fuse, or whatever).

Kind Regards, John

Does adding a spur from the MCB require Part P?

All electrical work in a home should conform to the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations

But Part P does not say what you think it does.

Requirement P1 in Part P is a single sentence, 28 words long.

There is no Requirement P2 or any other Requirements.

Last edited:
All electrical work in a home should conform to the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations ... But Part P does not say what you think it does. ... Requirement P1 in Part P is a single sentence, 28 words long. ... There is no Requirement P2 or any other Requirements. Part P
All true.

However, as we all know, and very much aided and abetted by eric repeatedly perpetuating this misunderstanding, when people talk about 'requiring Part P' in this sort of context, they actually mean 'notifiable' - and, although the 28 words of Part P, per se, say nothing about notification, the Building Regs of which they are part obviously does impose the requirements for notification.

Kind Regards, John

In passing, what you are talking about would not normally be called 'a spur', since most people only use that term in relation to ring circuit (and perhaps also where a branch from a radial circuit has smaller cable than the rest of the circuit.

Domestic lighting circuits are nearly always 'radial' circuits (not rings) - and a radial circuit can (and often does) 'branch' at any point in the circuit - and that 'point' can be anywhere, even where the circuit originates at an MCB (or fuse, or whatever).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks. I was struggling for the right terminology, ‘branch’ is a better description!

While I would agree with what John has written, the definitions in the regulations state:

"Spur. A branch from a ring or radial final circuit."

There is no electrical definition of 'branch'.

While I would agree with what John has written, the definitions in the regulations state:
"Spur. A branch from a ring or radial final circuit." There is no electrical definition of 'branch'.
That is true - so, as you imply, the regs regard a branch from a radial as being a 'spur'.

However, as I said, I don't think many people use such terminology for a radial. In fact, it's generally impossible to do do, since if a radial 'branches' (with cables all of the same size), then it's impossible to define which of the two resulting cables is 'the circuit' and which is the 'spur'.

It is probably peculiar to me but, as I implied, I have personally adopted the convention of using "spur" to describe a branch from a radial which is of a smaller cable CSA than the 'main part' of the circuit (e.g. a 2.5mm² branch, supplying one socket, from a 4mm² radial). However, as said, that's probably just me, and I doubt whether many people would use "spur" even for that. However, I personally find it useful to indicate that it is a a branch of 'limited socket-supplying capability') and, in that case, it is also clear which is 'the circuit' and which is the 'spur'. This might be particularly relevant if anyone installed a 2.5mm² 'fused spur' (to supply multiple sockets) from a radial circuit (which I doubt they often do!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back