Does adding a spur from the MCB require Part P?

Yeah, in principle. The problem is that if the video camera

Not uncommon. Just make sure that the you use the 15 (or less) voltage option on the transformer. I assume that your door bell will be happy with 15v

Yep the latest Ring doorbells can take 8 to 24VAC from a traditional bell transformer or 24VDC from a dedicated supply.

The chime will actually be disconnected, so it’s needs are arbitrary for now, just the wires to the doorbell will be reused.

Sponsored Links
Yep the latest Ring doorbells can take 8 to 24VAC from a traditional bell transformer or 24VDC from a dedicated supply.

The chime will actually be disconnected, so it’s needs are arbitrary for now, just the wires to the doorbell will be reused.

Fair enough.

For it is worth, I recently had to make a Google door bell work with a Honeywell chime. The customer's electrician couldn't get the two of them to work. After a few Google searches, I found a solution (offered up by people smarter than me). AFAIK the newer Ring door bells will work with hard wired (DC) chimes, which reduces the need for so many plug in wireless Google chimes.

Fair enough.

For it is worth, I recently had to make a Google door bell work with a Honeywell chime. The customer's electrician couldn't get the two of them to work. After a few Google searches, I found a solution (offered up by people smarter than me). AFAIK the newer Ring door bells will work with hard wired (DC) chimes, which reduces the need for so many plug in wireless Google chimes.

Yes sadly there is no way to make the Ring doorbells work with a traditional chime, as they output no electrical signal when the button is pressed. There is an adapator kit for US style chimes, but nothing similar for UK/EU.

Which is a shame, as this would be a great feature and a good backup for when the wireless goes on the fritz.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the diode was only included with the original 'Gen 1' Ring doorbell and only for triggering US-spec digital doorbell chimes. It has no use with a mechanical chime and won't work at all with the Gen 2 or later Ring door bells.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back