Does an outside light need to be on it's own circuit breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I want to put a couple of outside lights in (flanking the patio doors) that come on when we walk out at night.

I just wondered if I can just use the feed from the lighting ring or whether I need to put them on their own breaker ? (I was just thinking that, because they are outside, they might need greater protection?)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi all,
I want to put a couple of outside lights in (flanking the patio doors) that come on when we walk out at night.

I just wondered if I can just use the feed from the lighting ring or whether I need to put them on their own breaker ? (I was just thinking that, because they are outside, they might need greater protection?)

I'll apologise in advance for the 'less than useful' comment that will come from winston1.

EDIT: Oh so sorry just too late.

There was no "less than useful" comment.

I corrected the OPs lack of knowledge about the use of rings. Exactly the type of things these forums are for.

There was no "less than useful" comment.

I corrected the OPs lack of knowledge about the use of rings. Exactly the type of things these forums are for.
Do you know OP's lighting circuit is NOT a ring?

Winston.

Please don't start this again.

I was in the electrical trade for just over 30 years.

I can assure you that lighting circuits are wired in ring formation.

Your lights won't be a ring
I corrected the OPs lack of knowledge about the use of rings.

Winston1 has this opinion that lights are NEVER EVER on a ring.

And makes a statement about your electrical installation based only on that OPINION

Lights can be on a ring and there is a chance ( albeit a small one ) that your lights could be on a ring.

Regardles of the silly arguement brewing it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether it's a ring or a radial circuit and to follow that; It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the original question if a radial lighting circuit is incorrectly called a ring. For that matter it equally makes no difference if the circuit is called a bucket of volts.

What is important is that Terry and BS3036 gave excellent advice in the first two replies.

It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the original question if a radial lighting circuit is incorrectly called a ring.
Yes, it does. What if the OP had called it a square?

Do you want him to go on making this error for the rest of his life?

Some people think ring is just another word for circuit. It is not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back