Does anyone know what this material is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst clearing the junk out of the house I've recently moved into, I came across a material which I'm unsure of and think it could be asbestos.
The image attached is of a small piece of a larger board, which had broken off - the boards seem quite brittle.
I have a pile of boards made of this material, which seem to have no purpose other than to fill a metal tank which is no-longer in use with the lager boards stacked on top - I guess this was a water tank, which has been replaced with a plastic one before I moved into the property.

Some additional information on the house in case it helps - It was built in 1953 and is Whimpy no-fines concrete construction.

Thanks,
Oliver

Sponsored Links
Looks like straw board - straw and cement.

It may be something else though

The "bits" look too flat for straw board but there was/is another board whick was made from wood fibres a bit like a narrow shaving from a plane and then bonded with a cement, looks like it may be that. Known as wood wool cement board

Looks like part of a flat roof may have been replaced at some time and the roofer dumped his old rubbish in the tank rather than take it away.

J

Sponsored Links
Could it be Tagliatelle board?

220px-Picture_246_w.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back