Does anyone no anything about loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question, im converting my attic into a bedroom..
at the moment there is fibre glass insulation up there when i lay down the floorbored up there is it safe to have the fiber glass underneath the boreds?

i recently went up there and was itching and coughing up blood because of the fibreglass, so i obviously dont want to be sleeping in there with the fibre glass under the floor if it is not safe.

Sponsored Links
if the boards are tongue and groove interlocking boards, and you seal round the edges and any cuts, then you've isolated the problem.

if it all has to come out, it will be space suit and mask time for you.

if it was me, it'd all be coming out.............

The insulation should be between the habitable space and outside, if you have insulation between the bedroom floor and the room beneath remove it.

Insulation should follow the ceiling of the floor below from the eaves to the wall of your attic bedroom, it should then follow the outside of the wall of the attic room up to the ceiling, over the ceiling between the ceiling and the roof and back down the other side and over to the eaves as before.

Keep an air space outside the insulation for ventilation to avoid damp / condensations problems.

I guess you don't have building regs approval for what you are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back