Does anyone recognise this type of consumer unit?

However, in this kind of instance one could leave the box in the wall, remove the lid and inards, then fit would round the box, then fit a new consumer unit over the top of the old box.
That board doesn't look flush or semi flush to me. Looks to be surface on the ply

Sponsored Links
You may find that even if it started with BS3036 (rewireable) fuses that they've been replaced with cartridge fuses at a later date, since the Wylex Standard range can take both (and the plug-in MCB's, like the one already discussed). If not, then they're easy enough to swap out if you wish.

We can't see from the photo, but the main RCD is probably a 100mA type - Not giving the 30mA protection for certain things which is recommended today, but perfectly adequate and not worth changing unless you really want to swap out the board completely.

As for the possibility of conduit, why so down on it?

I got into the house today but unfortunately forgot a screwdriver to open the CU. I did take some better pictures though
20160323_093336.jpg 20160323_093342.jpg
I take it these confirm the original idea that it is an old wylex unit with rewirable fuses and an rcd. I notice the rcd is 100mA though and that as someone mentioned previously a 45A breaker has been added which may be a bit much for the unit. I think I'm going to just get a new CU fitted.
Also I took a picture below the unit to try and get an idea of the wiring but it's not very clear 20160323_093427.jpg

As PBC guessed. There is an RCD, but it is rated at 100mA which means it would not be compliant with todays regs, if you were to have new work/circuits done.
I am not sure what the 45amp breaker is for? If it is to power and electric shower then a 30mA RCD is required.

I agree, now's the time to opt for a new CU with your new house would be a good plan for today and the future.

Sponsored Links
Is it ex-LA?

They are often wired with conduit.

Those black pipes could be conduit.

Are there any that go up?

Can you play it safe and take some off your offer to allow for work on the electrical installation?

Yeah it's ex local authority, I was thinking the black pipes might be conduit aswell, unfortunately everything must be behind the plaster board so I can't see what's going up.
I think I'm probably too far down the line with the offer now to amend it I'm thinking of getting the electrical system surveyed /tested. My big worry all along is changing from an old conduited system to a 17th edition board with split rcd's. Iv never actually done it so I'm not sure if it's a valid concern but it seems to me like the kind of thing that could be a potential problem

I live in a flat with conduit, and it has the advantage that it has been harder for previous owners to bodge things - and where they have bodged things, it's obvious that it's new because it's not in conduit.

My big worry was putting on q 17th edition board and the rcd constantly tripping due to existing, undetected earth faults.
Well then don't use a numpty electrician who would just bang a new CU in and hope that it went OK.

Simples.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back