Does cedar need to be treated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have just got a cedar dog kennel and run. The person I got it from said it doesn't need treated but my dad said it does... so does it? Who is right?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Untreated cedar will naturally weather out to a silver-grey colour. High-grade cedar heartwood is impervious to rot and insect damage. Lesser grades are more prone to rot and insect damage. To extend the life of the wood and to retain its original color, apply a penetrating oil sealer or stain.

That answer is a bit like the Oracle at Delphi, but basically if it is high-quality redwood/cedar (which has a distinctive aroma and a pinkish tinge) then it won't necessarily need any treatment. Would I treat it? Probably not - I happen to like the colour it weathers out to

Thanks for replying... the guy said it was good quality stuff, and it does have a smell... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
But cedar is very soft and easily damaged. A coating may protect the surface

Coating can also even out irregular wet or sun exposure which can then lead to splitting or cupping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back