Does electrical cable need to be in conduit in a stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Have in stalled a ring upstairs The sockets (and light switches) are in a stud plasterboard/timber wall. I have run both the the cables for sockets and switches through plastic conduit. Do I need to do this?

The only reason I ask is that should I need to change anything it might be easier to run the ring cables to the back box without trying to push both wires back through trunking.... which was difficult enough without plasterboard on the walls

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I have run both the the cables for sockets and switches through plastic conduit. Do I need to do this?
No, there is no requirement stating you have to!
The only reason I ask is that should I need to change anything it might be easier to run the ring cables to the back box without trying to push both wires back through trunking.... which was difficult enough without plasterboard on the walls
Depends on the size of trunking/conduit in relationship to cable.
One thing I must add is, you are aware that cable run in conduit/trunking has a lesser current carrying capacity, than that that is not? and also cables within walls less than 50mm, must be mechanically protected or be RCD protected and socket outlets will likely require RCD protection regardless.

They do not need to be in trunking but

must be installed in safe zones (see wiki)
and the cable must be supported otherwise it may stretch under its own weight over time (don't forget we are talking a lifetime of decades for fixed wiring)

Many thanks folks

.... its a good job I asked as there is an existing cable running right next to the door frame... will move it!

Will see about getting an RCD fitted by an electrician just to be on the safe side.

thanks once again

Sponsored Links
Have in stalled a ring upstairs
Why?

What made you think that you knew enough, and had the right tools to do this?

You didn't know about safe routes for cables.

You didn't know about the requirement for RCD protection.

What else don't you know about?

Do you know that you were supposed to apply for Building Regulations approval before installing this circuit?

Do you know about cable & conduit factors for sizing conduit?

Do you know about installation methods, and how they affect the current carrying capacity of cables?

Do you know what Ib ≤ In ≤ Iz is, and how it works regarding ring finals?

Do you know what tests you should carry out on the circuit - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise it, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

its a good job I asked
Do you not see the danger here? You're only going to ask about things which happen to occur to you, i.e. where you realise there's something you don't know. What if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it?

You didn't ask about testing your circuit. Was that because you know everything about testing, or was it because you didn't know that testing was required?

Will see about getting an RCD fitted by an electrician just to be on the safe side.
Unless and until you learn how to do this sort of thing properly you should get an electrician to do all of it.

I'm confused, you say you have run trunking but then sound like you want to remove it?

... its a good job I asked as there is an existing cable running right next to the door frame... will move it!

Why, Is it in a safe zone? Where will you move it to?

Yep, I do need an electrician the problem is finding one that wants less than £200 for half a days work... not wanting to sound cynical or anything but funds are stretched and need an honest reliable tradesman.... and I am looking for someone to test what I have done... and install a two way, and bathroom fan and a new earth and junction box.

My understanding was that I would be OK to do DIY electricals on anything that does'nt invlove access the the consumer unit or in a bathroom. Which I have no intention of doing. I have just extended the upstairs ring is all. Any work I do would be a massive improvement on the existing cotton/ lead lined cable, junction boxes everywhere, different size cable, lights on ring mains, etc. A 100yrs of bodge on bodge! And I payed an electrician to survey this before I bought the house ... and it passed... so forgive me if I start to feel I could do a better job myself!

RE safe zone, I was going to move an existing cabe that feeds the upstairs lights a foot away from a door frame rather than resting on it.

Where in Yorkshire are you? I was quoted 25+Vat per hour by a firm local to me, I haven't had the work done though so can't say whether or not they are any good but should give you an idea of price. A Neighbour had some stuff done by them and I haven't seen them back so assume it went ok.

When you say it's resting on the door frame, do you mean on the top, or running down the side? is the cable inside the wall? Have you checked the wiki to see if it's inside a safe zone already?

My understanding was that I would be OK to do DIY electricals on anything that does'nt invlove access the the consumer unit or in a bathroom. Which I have no intention of doing. I have just extended the upstairs ring is all.
Well, to be fair, that isn't what you said you'd done.

Have in stalled a ring upstairs

so forgive me if I start to feel I could do a better job myself!

Great, thanks for the links will have a good look!

RE safe zone, the cable is running up the side of the door casing to the loft to feed the lights. It isnt IN the wal but on top of stoothing/cross members. Does'nt look safe! Wall was old lat and plaster. Was going to move a foot away from door and put in conduit running up the middle of the timber/cross member.

Many thanks

Surface mounted cable can be anywhere it's not likely to get damaged. The point of "safe zones" for buried cables is that you don't drill holes there because you assume there could be hidden cables.

The assumption is that you wouldn't drill into a cable you can see.

So there may be no need to move the cable by the door.

If you are planning to cover the cable after moving it then it will need to comply for the rules for concealed cables.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

If by conduit you mean the PVC stuff, that does not qualify as mechanical protection when burying cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back