Does floorboard restoration/painting leave fine saw dust?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently laminated and this has left the smell of fine saw dust everywhere. It will take time for it to go however I am sensitive to a room full of fine saw dust.

I am thinking that since most of the fine saw dust is on the floor, if one paints over it the paint will seal/stick most of the dust to the floor which might solve my problem i.e. make smell go/stop dust from rising. Is this the case?
When somebody restores/you restored floorboards, did the smell of saw dust stay or did it seem varnishing/painting sealed floor surface dust to the ground?

If there is no saw dust smell after floorboard restoration and painting, then perhaps the varnish/paint has sealed/stuck most of floor surface dust to the ground? Do you think painting the laminate will do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sawdust by its nature will stay on the surface and not be airbourn

if you have been sanding it may get airborne with heavy air movement but this will eventually disappear with cleaning and ventilation

You don't want any dust on the floor if you're going to varnish or paint it.

Cheers
Richard

Big-All, are you sure about this. Firstly, after a laminate wood job people can usually smell saw dust(a kind of wood smell) but not see it(as it's fine)therefore it MUST be in the air for you to be able to smell it?

Also if gaps have been left in-between laminate then perhaps it is coming up through there as well.

I know it will go with time and cleaning, however how long are we talking? I cannot stay in my flat due to its odour and weeks is too long for me need to return asap.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't want any dust on the floor if you're going to varnish or paint it.

Cheers
Richard

You are referring to visible dust. However after a saw job saw dust will be everywhere including other rooms, it is invisible.

Get a pair of white gloves and run your finger over a surface, and you'll find it's not invisible.

The point is that you don't use paint or varnish to "glue" dust to a floor.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back