parquet floor restoration

To be honest, beg to differ. We normally charge more ;) But we always give a "project-price" so no surprises afterwards, if it takes longer than we expected it would not effect the total price

Professional sanding equipment is expensive - and it is not just the one sander, we've got 4 in total.

Sponsored Links
i meant its a bit much for somebody on a budget. I understand that the equipment has to be paid for etc

Understand where you're coming from, the way you describe it now (budget, as so many of us) sounds better than being "steep"

have had a few quotes

most saying 25 a metre to sand and finish - floor covers roughly 35 metres in 2 rooms and hall

one guy said that since there are some loose blocks, the whole floor should be ripped up and re-laid as the sanding would only dislodge whats not already loose - at a cost of 70 a metre. we will not be using this guy.

i am looking into the feasability of doing this myself. but am having the following problems.

i cannot find a company who hire out bona sanders in my area (merseyside)

the floor has several patches of concrete that i would like filling in to match the floor - there is one in front of front door in hall, and one in front of each fireplace.

auh6j6.jpg

241tmjn.jpg

lekba.jpg

I have roughly estimated this to require 60 - 75 new blocks.

a guy who came out said the floor was "knotted Pine"

350t89s.jpg

2u59bpl.jpg

does anybody know how much it would cost to purchase these blocks?

does anybody know of an alternate sander other than bona that would do as good a job?

what do you think would be the best finish? oil or varnish? I am thinking that i would prefer varnish as it would look better with the sun coming in on it.

hallway - pretty solid

2ijoglh.jpg

25jd2mc.jpg

front living room - few areas of loose blocks - maybe about 10 blocks

119ynms.jpg

33k6lw4.jpg

2evsyhg.jpg

j7qijp.jpg

efi23b.jpg

i am unable to properly inspect floor at moment as there is a lot of other work going on right now like plastering and floor is covered in back room.

cheers

Sponsored Links
also, if i manage to get hold of the blocks, is there a particular method for cutting them?

cheers

somebody is now saying that this floor is douglass fir due to the dimensions of the blocks - 224mm x 73mm x 20mm

Sadly floor sanding is the kind of trade that anyone who can hire a sander thinks that they can do. Your parquet floor can look brand new with a professional refinish but i will be amazed if you will ever achieve such a finish with hire equipment on your first attempt.

The advise is good on the belt sanders above, but i would want to be doing the final few sands with a large disk sanding machine to leave no marks on flooring. The large belt sanders are fine to finish a strip floor where all of the grain runs in the same direction but when it comes to parquet this is rarely the case.

£25 a square meter seems a bit steep for the work unless its a small area. For a decent sized room your looking at a price of under £20. Bare in mind the option of carpet would be more than the re sand and that to fit a new parquet floor your looking at over £100 a m.

This shows a professionaly reconditioned floor
http://hmcflooring.com/portfolios/mr-mrs-bartholomew/

http://hmcflooring.com/products/parquet/

Thanks for help.

we ended getting a company in who did the restoration for around £1000

very nice looking job so far although some of the filler seems to have fallen through - i wont see the finished job until tonight as today is their last day.

kinda glad i didnt attempt this myself now
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back