Does Hive work without a thermostat (receiver only)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see a lot of people on eBay selling only the receiver for their Hive Active Heating without the thermostat. Assuming I have the hub, does this actually work? Can the heating be controlled with the phone app alone? What happens if e.g. the thermostat breaks or runs out of batteries?

Sponsored Links
Nope its the other way round , you can use the hive with the thermostat and receiver without the hub, but you cant use the thermostat without the receiver

you cant use the thermostat without the receiver

Did you mean receiver without the thermostat? I see people selling just the receiver and if it's useless without the thermostat, then it sounds like a useless thing to buy, correct?

Sponsored Links
There are 3 parts to the Hive thermostat.

1. The receiver is simply an electrical on/off switch that has the wiring connected to it. [Two on/off switches in the case of the dual channel version]
2. The thermostat is what actually does the controlling. It also measures the air temperature where it is located and then sends instructions to the receiver to switch the heating on or off.
3. The hub allows remote access to the thermostat control settings via the internet. However, items 1 and 2 will still work in 'standalone' mode for local control only without the hub.

So you are quite right, and as per @ianmcd the receiver is useless without a thermostat to tell it what to do.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back