help with new hive receiver swap/install please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. About 10 years ago I had British gas install their Remote Heating Control hub, receiver and wireless thermostat. All worked very nicely and later they brought out the Hive app so I could use it on the phone. Now they brought out a new Hive and my old system has been discontinued and no longer works. I've bought a new dual Hive receiver, hub and thermostat kit and tried to install it. The old receiver back box is exactly the same as the new receiver so I just swapped the receiver but the wiring is wrong.
I can only get heating by pressing the hot water boost button and this brings on the heating for half an hour. My old remote heating only controlled the heating. The hot water is controlled by my old wall programmer time switch.
I'm hoping this is quite a common problem caused by the Hive switch over and that someone in the forum might have found an easy wiring solution.
I've added a few photos to show the old back box wiring (with a link as suggested for having the old programmer permanently on for heating) and the new hive wiring diagram. I only want the new hive to control the heating and not the hot water. Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks in advance for your help.
IMG_6701.JPG
IMG_6703.JPG
IMG_6704.JPG

Sponsored Links
You say the old hive only controlled the heating. If so, I think you need a single channel receiver and room stat, not a dual one.

Ideally you need the single channel Hive, but if you put the grey wire into terminal 4 instead of 3 it will work.
Or depending on what clock you have you could do the job properly and replace that with your new dual channel Hive so it would control the hot water as well.

You say the old hive only controlled the heating. If so, I think you need a single channel receiver and room stat, not a dual one.
Thanks Mottie. I thought the single Hive was only for combies.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you need the single channel Hive, but if you put the grey wire into terminal 4 instead of 3 it will work.
Or depending on what clock you have you could do the job properly and replace that with your new dual channel Hive so it would control the hot water as well.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give a go. The wiring centre is a bit of a nightmare so I'm happy to keeping it simple. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi John,
I changed the wire as you suggested and the Hive heating works a treat with the new mini thermostat and app.
I'll think about trying to do the hot water as well but I'll wait till spring. Don't want to risk it just as the heating season starts!.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back