Does it matter if I use 4" or 5" feather edge for cladding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Supply issues are driving me nuts.

I'm going to be cladding a small garden building in treated featheredge. Does it matter whether I use 4" (100mm) or 5" (125mm) boards?

Sponsored Links
Well it wouldn’t bother me. If I could only get one size, that’s what I’d use.

Do remember that the narrower the board the more you will need. A 4" board will only have 3" cover when you allow for the overlap.

Thanks guys. Still works out marginally cheaper for me to use more of the thinner boards - not enough to make much of a difference.

My main interest is doing it the best way for longevity. But if board width doesn't affect that, then I'll use the thinner boards because it's proving harder to source the wider boards.

Sponsored Links
Ok. Just remember - thick edge down, only nail inch and quarter up from bottom edge and overlap by no more than an inch and no less than three quarters of an inch.

The board above will hold the thin edge in place and the boards won't bulge or split with the boards swelling or shrinking with the weather.

That way if you have to replace a board you only damage the one you are replacing.

I would go for 6 inch actually from past experience - a lot easier to work with and you don't need so many lengths.

With the timber shortages as they are at the mo I think peeps have to make do with what they can get, or wait goodness knows how long

With the timber shortages as they are at the mo I think peeps have to make do with what they can get, or wait goodness knows how long
There be plenty down here in Devon and the shortage bits are no good anyway, he likely needs long bits.

others may disagree but feather edge and longevity for a shed do not come to mind
if you are going the whole hog with insulation breathable membrane air gap etc why not go for txg shiplap ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back