Does it need a new lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am opening up an old fire place to allow us to install a log burner. I will post a seperate thread showing the project when completed.

I have uncovered the previously blocked up opening and the brickwork looks fairly sound. I have also opened up one of the top corners to see if the arch self supporting. There is a metal strap/lintel under the brickwork as pics below.

Questions;

1) Am i safe to remove the blockwork infill
2) Is the metal support and brick arch good to be left or should i install an RC lintel below and brick up between?

Chimney Lintel.jpg
Chimney.jpg

Sponsored Links
I reckon you need to take about another 6" of plaster off all round so we can see a bit more of the brickwork

Errr, it's an arch! Half the world is held up with arches so your chimney should be ok.

Apparently arches do hold up!

Fireplace now fully opened and sound. Brickwork look in good order and a nice pattern to show off as part of the final finish.

What are the pair of 2 bricks at the back? Was this a vent in the original fire? They sit higher than the base at the front so am i ok to cut them flush with the back of the chimney and then fill the base with concrete to give a nice level to install the hearth?

Fireplace 1.jpg
Fireplace 2.jpg
Fireplace 4.jpg

Sponsored Links
That made me chuckle... Apparently the arches hold up....

If you've got a plasterer coming in afterwards, they do prefer if they have a clean line , so where all the jagged knocked of plaster is, just get an angle grinder and square it all up, then they have a nice straight line to go upto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back