Does kitchen wiring now need a spark?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our house was extended and professionally re-wired some five years ago, but the new kitchen was still a good way off being fitted and I'm only now doing so (I work carefully, but slowly!) The spark left me with wires (suitably insulated) hanging from the ceiling for all the appropriate new circuits, and I've now chased these all in and I'm ready to start connecting the new points - cooker, hob, ring main, spurs for under-counter appliances. However -

I've just been told by a relative that recent regs now preclude ANY DIY wiring in kitchens, and that we now need to call in a spark just to connect up the points. Is this true? If so, this is a reg that I'd missed, and I can't see any reference to it here.

Thanks in advance! John

Sponsored Links
Mmmm interesting.
If you got BCO approval for your extension before Part P became law on 1 January 2005, around here at least the Council will not be interested in the wiring.
Has you extension been signed off by the BCO?
Part P does not preclude DIY electrical work, it just makes some of it notifiable to the Council.
TBH, if you are just connecting up accessories and sockets, I would go ahead and do it, providing you do this work diligently and safely.

If you got BCO approval for your extension before Part P became law on 1 January 2005, around here at least the Council will not be interested in the wiring

wasnt there a time limit on this?

Sponsored Links
Dunno, but I have a friend in a similar position to the OP.
He got BCO approval for his self-built extension before Part P Day, but didn't start building until afterwards.
He telephoned the Council in a panic because of Part P, but was told that because approval was granted before Part P Day, the BCOs would not be inspecting the wiring during their routine visits. He has only just finished wiring up the kitchen part of the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back