I would like to ask about my wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading this thread I would like to ask about my wiring, the house was rewired in 2006 and a new cu fitted by qualified sparks and all ok..all the correct wiring was put in for the new cooker in prep for the new kitchen so I am confident all ok there, sparks finished and left site then the kitchen fitter fitted some spotlights and I will check tomorrow but I am sure that the downlights never had a earth connection and the earth wires was connected together but no to the actual metal light fitting,just checked the metal switch and it is earthed to the metal back box .....is this unsafe??? and if yes what do I need to do to resolve it.

Sponsored Links
Generally metal downlights dont need earthing (Ive never seen any that need it).

The facia of the metal switch requires an earth.

Metal plate switches have a earth point, so a strap wire 1.5mm sleeve grn / yell should run between the back box terminated earth and the plate terminal.

If metal screws hold the face plate to the back box you will have an earth via conductivity- earthed back box -> metal screw -> metal screw touching metal face plate. BUT- a strap wire makes it 100%, since when the plate is off wall, but still wired if there's no strap it won't be earthed !

My understanding is if using a metal faceplate you cannot rely on the screw for the earth. I prefer to connect the cpc directly to the faceplate rather than junction at the back box

Sponsored Links
My understanding is if using a metal faceplate you cannot rely on the screw for the earth. I prefer to connect the cpc directly to the faceplate rather than junction at the back box

Correct. That is why there is a handy terminal on the front plate with an earth symbol engraved next to it. The instructions also include some telling words. Something like "this must be earthed".

Correct. That is why there is a handy terminal on the front plate with an earth symbol engraved next to it. The instructions also include some telling words. Something like "this must be earthed".

I think the point Skenk was making is that he prefers to run the earth wire from the cable to the switch plate first, then a wire to the back box

as opposed to

running the earth wire from the cable to the back box first, then to the switch plate.

Don't think that matters too much. When you have something like eight cables at a switch, I tend to connect about four to the box, then a link to the switch plate, and connect the other four here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back