Does my haunching look too big!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Redid the haunching and pointing on my chimney yesterday. I took off the broken and cracked old bits and used a diamond blade grinder to score the bits I left to key the new morter. I've had to put a decent thickness on top of anything left and smooth it all out so I'm left with the picture attached. My friend who is not a builder thinks it's far too high and looks daft. The only other option would have been to remove the lot and start again. Is it not normal to fix it rather than remove the lot and start again?

Also I was going to put Watco water seal on this. How long should I leave the morter to harden before I do this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170216_121318.jpg
    20170216_121318.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My friend who is not a builder thinks it's far too high and looks daft

If your friend is a pigeon, then he's probably going to have a diferent view to you down on the ground.

It looks OK

There are several types of Watco product. Follow whatever is on the tin

Personally I would have preferred modern square sleek (slim) lines, but it is OK, you can tell your friend that you done it on purpose to keep the co-efficient of drag to minimum, and tell him when everyone's chimneys fall over during a hurricane winds, yours will be the only one standing still.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back