Does My Light Switch Need A Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

ON a previous thread I was told that I need to put a 3A fuse between the power supply and the light switch

I want to understand exactly why. My switch has a 10A fuse built in right? So if there is a surge of power the light switch will blow. Is that correct?

Why do I need a fused switch exactly

Sponsored Links
A light switch doesn't have a fuse, its just rated to safely operate a load of up to 10amps.

You only need to fuse it if its on a circuit of above 10amps, like a ring main for sockets. If its on a lighting circuit you don't need a fuse.

What makes you think there is a 10A fuse built into your light switch?

Most standard light switches will have the maximum breaking current marked on them this figure it the maximum size of the supply fuse that should be used it does not have the fuse built in.

Light bulbs should have built in fuses to stop the short circuit caused by ionisation when they blow but this is only with a tungsten bulb and often not fitted by manufacturer when missed if the bulb blows and ionisation takes place (the big flash when they blow) then without a fuse or MCB of 6A or less likely the solder contacts will melt on the bulb and weld the bulb into the bulb holder meaning instead of replacing the bulb you have to replace the whole fitting.

A switched fused connection unit looks very like a light switch and does have a fuse built in.

Sponsored Links
A lighting circuit from a fuse board is rated at 6 amp or sometimes 10 amp.

So a light fed from that circuit is restricted to 6/10 amp.

A light feed from a socket circuit, the socket being part of a ring is rated at 30 amp.
Without a fuse in the middle between the socket and the switch for the light that lighting wiring and fittings is opened up to the full 32 amp of supply.

So more ouch if something goes wrong and a cable feed that at best is 50% under capacity for the potential load.

Please try reading our posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back