Does my wiring look safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I bought a 3 bed semi 30's semi recently , and the survey said that my wiring needed urgent attention. I have what looks like a modern consumer box, and the wiring looks like flat grey PVC cable. I have a variety of different plug and light switches, which will need to be changed.

My concern is what exactly might need attention - the wiring, or the sockets etc. I will be getting someone to look at the situation shorlty, but I wouldnt mind some general views first. Does anyone think my house needs a total rewire. I have posted some pics of my wiring/CU.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The wiring is PVC cable and the pictures show its in reasonable condition - the bits I can see. But there is much, much more to safety of wiring than just looking.

You should get and electrician who has a qualification in Inspection and Testing to carry out a Periodic Inspectioon Report.
This will detail the condition of the whole installation and hightlight what must and what should be done to bring things up to scratch.

Expect to pay about £200 for the average sized house.

You could post some more pics to give us a better idea.

Things like the CU, The supply coming into the building, some more pics of sockets and switches round the house.

what does the survey consist of? if its a pir then the results will determine whether its safe or not.

Sponsored Links
chances are it will need a major rewire if your planning any moderations as houses wired a while ago often fail the new requirements (ie recently had to change all the lighting cable in a house as it had no earth core.

if not doing much work then might be fine, wouldnt be able to say without doing a test. as for the wiring, bit untidy but doesn't look dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back