Is this external wiring safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of refurbishment it was found that the house required rewiring - the electrician employed by the builder carried out this work. I notice now that there is green/yellow wiring coming out of an air brick (at the back of the house) and along the wall into the gas meter area. I am concerned that this does not look like external wiring - at our house all our external wiring has cable armour (if that's the right term!), but this just looks like 'normal' wiring. I have been in touch with the builder to express my concern and he is going to contact the electrician.

I should appreciate advice as to whether this is acceptable wiring - my concern is that it looks very 'vunerable' both to the weather and to 'little teeth'! ;)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a bonding cable, which although is not live, it is very important. If it is not likely to be damaged in its location, then its ok. Personally, i don't like to see it and prefer to drop that cable through a length of conduit, but thats just cosmetics.

Hi Rosie, it's an earthing cable, there for safety reasons. the only time you should find electricity in that wire is if there's a problem, at which point the flow of electricity through this wire will cause one of the safety devices to activate and shut off the power. As Mikhail says, not cosmetically pretty but perfectly safe and pefectly normal.

PJ

it's an earthing cable..... the only time you should find electricity in that wire is if there's a problem......

No it's not, it's a bonding cable.

It is quite usual for circulating currents to flow in this cable on PME systems.

Sponsored Links
Lazy installers, running cable via an air brick rather than drilling through.

Dear Rosie,
From your point of view it doesn't matter whether it is for earthing or bonding. You do need it. Sometimes to put the cable inside would damage the interior. Just ask the contractor why they put it outside if you're interested. It's probably more common than you think; whilst it's new it stands out. HTH

Thanks to you all for your helpful replies - I think I will ask that the builder puts a conduit protection over the wire for protection - it just looks so open to the elements etc at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back