Extra wires for my external light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external light already hooked up, which the sensor has now broken. We disconnected the wires and taped them up to stop the light staying on permanently.

I have now purchased a new light, but when I went to wire it up, there are more wires than the instructions mention. (and I have disconnected the old one, can't see what was done with them previously)

The instructions mention Yellow/green (Earth), Blue (Neutral) and Brown(Live)
But I also have a Yellow and a Red wire. What do I do with these?

Reluctant to try anything in case I blow up the house!

Sponsored Links
Are the additional wires (the red and yellow) within the new light?

If so, are they already connected to the main connection block within the light?

OR

are the additional wires (the red and yellow) part of the original house wiring?

If so then the additional wires (the red and yellow) may be switch wires.

I will wait on your reply before providing further info in an effort not cause any confusion.

No worries. It appears that the red and yellow may be switch wires.
It seems you have a mix of old and new colour codes which in itself is not a problem but this particular mix is a little unusual.

So do you have the following house wiring:

RED
YELLOW
BROWN
BLUE
GREEN/YELLOW earth --- maybe two of them?

Is there also:
BLACK?

Regarding your new light:
Do you have the following connections:
L
N
E
SPARE (a connector but nothing connected to it)

Sponsored Links
Franny - use your multimeter to identify which conductors are permanent live, switched live, neutral etc.

That's pretty much it

Red
Yellow
Black
Blue
Yellow/green

No Brown - but I know the clours changed, and I have a note of what the changes are, but I am still then left with two extr wires - the switch wires.

Yes there are 4 connections - the spare marked LS

So by my reckoning (with the changes to colours) I should wire up as follows

Old Red = new Brown - wire into Live
Old Black = new blue - wire into Neutral
Old green/yellow = no change - wire into Earth

Which leaves me with a Yellow and Blue.

Thanks again for helping with this.

Old Red =
new Brown - wire into Live
Old Black = new blue - wire into Neutral
Old green/yellow = no change - wire into Earth

Which leaves me with a Yellow and Blue.

OK, If you have a multimeter do the following (with power off at consumer unit)

-With multimeter on resistance, clip probes across yellow and blue.
-Have someone flick the light switch on and off.
-Does the multimeter show the switch open and closed (high then low resistance) ?

If yes then do the folowing:

- Connect YELLOW in the same connector as RED.
- Connect BLUE in the connector marked LS

If you have brown or red sleeving/tape then sleeve/tape the blue and yellow for future reference and to show they are/can become live.

Switch main power back on at the consumer unit and see if the light works and switches on/off as designed.

-------------------------------------------------

If you do not have a multimeter then it becomes a matter of winging it! Not a good solution but its that or call out an electrician.

do the following: (with power off at the consumer unit)

- Look at the light switch wiring and confirm that you see a YELLOW and BLUE connected to the switch.

If yes then do the following:

- Connect YELLOW in the same connector as RED
- Connect BLUE in the connector marked LS

Switch main power back on at the consumer unit and see if the light works and switches on/off as designed.

------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT:
-Never work with live wires! Switch off at the consumer unit and do what you can to prevent anyone accidentaly switching on.
-Before you switch on power again, make sure you know which fuse/MCB protects the circuit that the external light is on. Look at it in detail and make sure that it is correctly rated. Most domestic lighting circuits are protected with a 6AMP MCB or a 5amp fuse/fuse wire. If fuse wire then look at it and confirm that it is really 5amp fuse wire. If any doubt then replace it with known 5amp fuse wire. If a seperate fused spur is protecting the external light then actually look at the fuse and make sure it is 3amp.
Other safety considerations:
-Do you have an RCD at your consumer unit?
-If you have an RCD then is the external light on the RCD circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back