Extra wire

If I have read correctly, the OP has already connected the brown at L of light and it will not turn off. It is visa-versa.

To the OP, if you want to turn the light on/off, was there a reason behind having a PIR?
If you want a PIR that you can control with on/off, do you require it to have the ability to override, outside the PIRs switching?

If so does the unit you bought have an override function?

Sponsored Links
This then ought to give you: With the override switch open: floodlight operating via PIR. ... the override switch closed: floodlight permanently on until switch opened.
Exactly. ... which, given what conductors are available at the fitting, is very probably the functionality that the OP had with his previous light/PIR, and probably wants to also have with the new one.

Kind Regards, John

All I want to do is when the switch is in the off position the light and sensor is off and when the switch is in the on position the light sensor is on thus working if it detects movement. Is this possible? If so what do I do?

All I want to do is when the switch is in the off position the light and sensor is off and when the switch is in the on position the light sensor is on thus working if it detects movement. Is this possible? If so what do I do?

Follow my instructions then.

Sponsored Links
If I have read correctly, the OP has already connected the brown at L of light and it will not turn off. It is visa-versa.
That is possible - I did say, a fair way back "one way around or the other". IIRC it was you who suggested that the brown was probably the permanent L and the black (with brown sleeving) that was the S/L one. However, as I also wrote to the OP way back, if he finds that the light is on continuously, he just needs to swap those two wires.

However, I'm always a bit suspicious when people say that a newly-installed PIR light 'comes on permanently and will not go off'. They nearly all come on when first energised, and if the time delay is set to a long period (or if people are walking about in front of PIR, with daylight inhibition turned down) they may get the impression that it is 'never going to go off'!

Kind Regards, John

What I normally do with PIRs now is a three position centre-off grid switch, so you can have permanently on, permanently off or PIR-actuated.

If that is what you want, then do as PBoD suggested. Is that how it was with the previous light/PIR? - the existence of the (sleeved) black and brown at the fitting (and the wiring of the switch) suggests that it probably wasn't.

Kind REgards, John

Hiya, in the instructions it says there is an automatic operation so when the switch is on the sensor detects motion and thus comes on and a manual override function which will make the light stay permanently on. What I am trying to do is wire it so that the light will not work at all when the switch is off no matter how dark it is outside or if there is any movement and will work when the switch is on.
We have a neighbors tree which is gusty weather keeps setting it off and we are unable to move the sensor away from it. It would be handy to be able to turn it on when we go out so we can see our way to the door when we get back and off at all other times.
I hope this all makes sense. I'm guessing I should go with how PrenticeBoyofDerry said to do it.

I'm guessing I should go with how PrenticeBoyofDerry said to do it.
Agreed!
Indeed.
Sometimes it may take the PIR sensor a little time to settle, after making live for first time.
Indeed again. As I implied, make sure that the 'timer setting' is set to short period when you first test it. The light will probably come on when you first apply power but, if the timer were set at its maximum, the light could possibly stay on for a long time before going off, which could be confusing!

Kind Regards, John

Okay, just got out side and I connected the black wire with brown sleeve to the L and left the switch as in the picture. Only no lights at all, not any of them??? Any ideas?

Right now I tried the other way around. Disconnecting the black/brown and putting the brown into L and into Way1 at the bottom of the switch (where the black/brown used to be) now what happens is when I try to turn the indoor lights and porch light on nothing, but if I turn the security light on the switches to the other 2 lights work. Whats going on??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back