Extra wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wiring up a new security light. So far I've wired in the brown, yellow/green and blue as per instructions, but I have a black wire with brown sleeve left over. There's nothing in the instructions about it and I'm confused. Should I be putting that one with the other brown wire or in place of or even leave it out???

Sponsored Links
I'm wiring up a new security light. So far I've wired in the brown, yellow/green and blue as per instructions, but I have a black wire with brown sleeve left over. There's nothing in the instructions about it and I'm confused. Should I be putting that one with the other brown wire or in place of or even leave it out???
New, so you installed the cable then?
I guess not if the black is sleeved brown, in layman's terms this indicates this is a live conductor.
You have a three core and earth, does this light have an integrated PIR or is it a standalone?
What type of light was removed and where was this conductor terminated on it?
Does this cable come direct from the switch?
It maybe that the conductor is not required or possibly the brown is not.
But they are live conductors and either need disconnecting from the source or terminating safely.

New, so you installed the cable then? I guess not if the black is sleeved brown, in layman's terms this indicates this is a live conductor. ... You have a three core and earth ...
Does one get three core and earth cables with brown/blue/black conductors? Are we perhaps talking about more than one cable (or even singles)?

Kind Regards, John

Does one get three core and earth cables with brown/blue/black conductors? Are we perhaps talking about more than one cable (or even singles)?
Maybe not in one sheath, but the op still has three cores and earth, whichever way you look at it!

Sponsored Links
Maybe not in one sheath, but the op still has three cores and earth, whichever way you look at it!
He does - but what concerns me is that, unless they are singles, there is probably another conductor (probably red) that we have not been told about.

The over-sleeving on the black suggests that, if there is an associated red, it is probably being used for something (if only one core of a T&E were being used, as a live, the red would surely have been used, not an over-sleeved black?)

Kind Regards, John

Or the installer of this cable has used twins and cut a conductor out.
I think in this instance we possibly have new colours t&e and a black core that has been used either as a live loop or switched.

The OP needs to tell us how he found it connected and if something no longer works.

Or the installer of this cable has used twins and cut a conductor out.
As I said, if the installer needed to use only one core of a red/black T+E a s a live core and hence 'cut off' (or otherwise dealt with) the second core, it would seem very odd to use an over-sleeved black (and cut off' the red), rather than use the red!
The OP needs to tell us how he found it connected and if something no longer works.
Indeed - and we need to know whether there is a red (or the remnants of a red) around anywhere, even if not being used.

Kind Regards, John

For goodness sake.

Round 4 core flex would have G/Y, brown, blue, black.

Perhaps it's that.

For goodness sake. Round 4 core flex would have G/Y, brown, blue, black.
Would it? I've never seen such an animal.

I think that EFLI's suggestion is much more likely - that it's actually brown/grey (not blue)/black - which would obviously be 'as expected', whether flex of 3C+E.

muimui: Is it possible that the wire you described as blue is actually grey?

Kind Regards, John

Hiya the light I'm trying to fit is a Polaris security light with sensor. It is replacing an old security light that also had a sensor. Unfortunetely it was taken down before I could see where the wires went. I've attached 2 pictures. One is a diagram of the instructions as it's peling it down at the mo so can't take a photo of the actual light. the othe is a picture of the light switch which has 3 lights connected to it (from left to right) 2 indoor porch lights working from one switch, outside porch light and the finally the the security light I'm having trouble with. //www.diynot.com/network/muimui/albums/ I'm not sure how to load images, so hopefully I've done it right.
Hope this helps[/img]

Hiya the light I'm trying to fit is a Polaris security light with sensor. It is replacing an old security light that also had a sensor. Unfortunetely it was taken down before I could see where the wires went. I've attached 2 pictures. One is a diagram of the instructions as it's peling it down at the mo so can't take a photo of the actual light.
Did you have a separate switch which turns the light on (regardless of the PIR) and/or did the previous PIR also operate some other light?

Whatever (and assuming that there are no other wires), it would seem that your brown and black (with brown sleeve) need to be connected to the light's terminals marked LS and L - one way around or the other. If you get them the wrong way around, the light will probably be on permanently, regardless of the PIR, so you would need to swap them.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back