Does this wiring look OK

Sponsored Links
Nope get a spark in to sort it for you, and get him to check the CU as well and all the circuits, who knows what else is lurking if that's what you have found.

Thanks. That's kind of the problem... The wiring has just been done by a spark and I found this when putting some floorboards back...

Sponsored Links
OK thanks for the answers. Can you give me more info on what is wrong with it? This was not a full rewire but addition of new sockets, moving some sockets, new CU, and adding new earths to lighting circuits.

Is this OK given the above i.e. it's safe if you're just modifying existing circuits but just not how you'd do it if you were doing a full rewire?

Just want to get an idea of how bad it is and whether it is dangerous. Also if I should be concerned about the rest of the work done.

What work was done? I can't tell if its that an outlet circuit or a lighting one but it does look like 2.5mm but I am not experienced enough to tell. Either it looks like he has broken a circuit and added a spur to it. It won't take much movement for those wires to come loose.

You can tell it is fairly recent (within the last 5 years or so) because the mix of old and new colours, has he even put a notice on the consumer unit to state the mixed colours?

OK thanks for the answers. Can you give me more info on what is wrong with it? This was not a full rewire but addition of new sockets, moving some sockets, new CU, and adding new earths to lighting circuits.

Is this OK given the above i.e. it's safe if you're just modifying existing circuits but just not how you'd do it if you were doing a full rewire?

Just want to get an idea of how bad it is and whether it is dangerous. Also if I should be concerned about the rest of the work done.

I am not a spark but I would never do this as a DIYer because

1) The cables can work loose if they are just dangling like that, this is a major fire hazzard.

2) Not enough protection against rodents etc

3) The terminals look a bit too small for me but I can't tell

4) Probably issues I haven't though off because I am not a spark :p

5) Some of that earth is not sleeved

It needs to all be in a proper enclosed junction box.

Did the spark give you the test certificates when he completed the job and a lot of these work needs to be notified, is a member of a self certification scheme or did he get the council to inspect it?

From the wiring regs BS7671:2008

Reg 526.5 requires that every electrical joint of a live conductor is made inside a suitable enclosure e.g a junction box

Reg 526.9 requires the cores of sheathed cable are enclosed in a suitable enclosure e.g. junction box.

Reg 526.6 requires that there is no mechanical strain on the connections of conductors. The cable needs to e clipped or use junction boxes with strain relief.

There are also a couple of regs that require bare protective conductors to be sleeved.

What's that other cable in the second picture with the yellow tape around it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back