Switches installed underneath boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I am in the process of having a new kitchen installed and have noticed that the "electrician" has installed 2 switches for the dishwasher and washing machine directly under the boiler.....could someone please tell me if I need him to relocate them. I am pretty clueless about these things but even to my untrained eye it looks well dodgy if a pipe was to start leaking. Here are a couple of pics
Thanks for any replies
Daniel G

Sponsored Links
That "electrician" is an out and out bodger and is not to be trusted

The grey sheath should be continuous into the box behind the switch.

To be able to see the individual cores ( the blue and brown ) is a clear sign this "electrician" is unfit to work on electrical installations.

What else has he done that is out of sight ?

No real problem with correctly installed switches under the boiler but installed they way they are installed there could be problems even without a pipe leaking.

That's seriously BAD workmanship and needs sorting by a proper electrician without delay.

As it's in a kitchen s/he should supply you with some paperwork when finished.

Regarding leaking pipes over electrics, if restrictions like you suggest were in place, it would be very difficult to have any sockets in a kitchen that was say under a bathroom. Leaks easily penetrate ceilings.

Whoever did that should NOT call themselves an "electrician". Is that a chocbloc i see peeking out of the right hand switch? Hopefully it is the cpc, BUT even that should not be done.

Sponsored Links
I can but agree with all the above. That workmanship is far worse than the even most 'bad DIYers' would do, let alone a so-called 'electrician' (not to mention that what he's done is non-compliant with regulations). As others have said, if he's done other electrical work, perhaps not as visible as this, I think you probably need to be worrying (and getting a proper electrician to check it out, and rectify the problems).

Kind Regards, John

Apart from the downright carp job he's done, I find myself wondering what the circuit is arranged as. I see two cables into each, so are they unfused switches off an RFC - so you'll be expected to connect up the flexes for the appliances with inadequate protection ?

Get a real sparky in, and contact your local trading standards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back