Fused Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About to get a snazzy kitchen fitted and wondered

Is there a law regarding fused switches, the plug socket for our washing machine will be underneath the counter but above the counter will be a fused switch for each one which I would hate

Ide prefer it if they were installed alongside the sockets underneath the counter or even better not attall!!

Your thoughts pliz

Lee

Sponsored Links
It's up to you.

It's just considered 'good practice' in this modern world.

No point at all having a fused switch under the worktop.

Hi,

From the 'Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations' :-

Page 61
vii Socket outlets supplying appliances pushed under a work surface, e.g. dishwashers, tumbledryers and fridges, should be accessible when the appliance is pulled out.

viii Appliances built into kitchen furniture, (integrated appliances), should be connected to a socket outlet or fused connection unit that is readily accessible when the appliance is in place and in normal use, or supplied from a socket outlet or other connecting device controlled by a readily accessible double pole switch or switched fused connection unit.

Hope that helps. :)

I stand by my reply.

I note that on page 61 there are a lot of 'shoulds' and there are no links to any relevant regulations.

Fed up with all these guides.We have the regulations.

Sponsored Links
OK.

So in the context of the regulations, what's an FCU above the worktop for?

Nothing at all wrong with placing a socket inside a cupboard adjacent to the washer etc.

You do not need to have fused spurs or switches above the counter top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back