Moving two fused switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If that title is vague then please excuse me.

Firstly I'm no electrician. I'm just another bod doing some diy on my week off.

I have two switches that are fused, these sit above the counter and serve two plug sockets under the counter that in turn serve the washing machine and dish washer. Both plugs on the appliances are fused and accessible easily enough.

I would like to know whether I can move the fused switches under the counter or, better still, get rid of them all together?

izlszm.jpg

Sponsored Links
They are Fused Connector Units. Sockets are what plugs fit into.

Yes, you can remove them if you wish.

If they are on the socket circuit, which is most likely, it would be easiest to replace with two single sockets.
If you prefer one double socket, then fitting a new box in the wall will be required because of the different sizes.

You must maintain the circuit from left to right.

you can't move them below the counter. THey are there because they are above the counter.

You could fit blanking plates if you wanted. (so ppl know the cable route and not to drill thru cables)
or you could fit some more attractive FCU's.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement for them at all. The appliances have fuses in their plugs so no point in another in line.

Would I be right in thinking these are connected directly to the CU And the sockets under the counter are spurs?

So there would be nothing wrong with taking the connections in the FCUs and connecting them directly to a new double under the counter and blanking the two old single sockets?

They're not sockets. You could fit two sockets - for plugging in things.

The wires already go down to the appliances. you do not need to alter them, just connect one cable to each socket.

Like this - the same for Neutral and Earth wires of course.

upload_2018-10-29_16-59-23.png

I don't see any point in removing the two switches.

They were put there for a reason - easy isolation.

Two blank plates won't look good - they will look like an afterthought as they don't really do anything.

Two single sockets somehow never looks right - a double socket looks better.

The above two sentences are of course just my personal preference - I wouldn't want your kitchen to look naff.

I don't see any point in removing the two switches.

They were put there for a reason - easy isolation.

No the reason was that the person who did it did not understand what he was doing. Easy isolation, and the best, can be achieved by pulling the plugs which the OP has said are easily accessible.

Two single sockets somehow never looks right - a double socket looks better.

Maybe so. But for two high power devices such as a washing machine and dish washer would probably be overloaded. Anyway it is not in a place where it will be seen.

Sorry, I think at one point someone suggested making the two switches into sockets, as well as retaining the sockets below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back