Wiring fridge using fused switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys (and girls)

Im fitting my kitchen at the mo, done the electrics myself (and has been checked by an electrican and has passed inspection :D

One thing i wanted to check up on was the correct or preferred method for connecting under counter built in appliances.

I have planned in for 2 above worktop 13a fused switches to control/isolate the fridge and freezer respectively. Each one feeds a single unswitched socket located in an adjacet cupboard.

So, my query is that obviously by plugging in an appliance to these under counter sockets will result in the said appliance having two fuses!

Have thought that by changing the unswitched socket to a flex outlet would resolve that but have also heard that changing the switch to a 20a DP and leaving the socket with 13a plug would be ok.

Advice welcome on the best / most appropriate wat to proceed .

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much about having two fuses.
I'd worry more about part p! Is the electrician signing it off with his competent person scheme as one of his own jobs?

Hi Spark,

The electrcian who had checked it recently carrried out a replacement consumer unit for us via council grant work.....i explained to him at the time my plans for the kitchen, he said seems fine to me.....i asked him if he would connect and test my work to ensure its fine and if he could issue a MWC.

He came along the other day, crimped where i planned to extend into the kitchen ring, joined up into a few accesible JB's and ran his meters over it and said it was all ok.

Took him about 20mins all in all and i have agreed to pay him for a certificate (£100)

Its all up and running and have had no trips etc

Just wanted to check on the best way to connect my appliances up....if its recomended to avoid "double fusing" then should i replace the sockets with flex outlets or change the switch to 20a or just leave as it is??

Reading between the lines 20A DP switches shouldn't be connected to a ring circuit - daft I know but their BS no isn't on the list.
As long as the sockets are accessable I wouldn't worry about having 2 fuses.

Sponsored Links
I suppose no different than plugging a 13a plug into an extension which , in turn, is also fused at 13a?

The 13a fused switches i have installed are in an extention of the existing ring and supply their own individual unswitched sockets all of which are easily accessable.

As long as its not gonna contradict any safety or protocols then i am happy to leave them plugged instead of cutting the plugs off.

Thanks for the advice .

Steve :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back