Switching under counter appliances in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok what’s the best way in doing this, I’m running a 4mm T&E radial from a 32amp rcbo to a kitchen.
I’m having under counter washing machine and tumble dryer which will need to be switched from above the counter but how are people doing this, my thinking is to have separate 13amp switch fused spurs above the counter on the actual radial and then having a piece of 4mm T&E to a unswitched 13amp socket behind those appliances, is that the way ?

Sponsored Links
Yeah that’s fine.
If it’s only a single socket under the counter, 2.5’mm could be used for that short but

Non switches sockets are preferred under the counter.

Above the counter you could use 20A switches if you wished

Double pole isolation switch above work top ,unswitched socket below. No point in a fused connection unit.

Sponsored Links
... 'no point', electrically-speaking - I agree - but usually appreciably cheaper than DP switches!

Kind Regards, John
Crabtree 20 A DP switch £3.00
Crabtree switched FCU £ 4.28
Toolstation.
So not necessarily so John !

... 'no point', electrically-speaking - I agree - but usually appreciably cheaper than DP switches!

Kind Regards, John
Do it properly, not the cheapest way.

OP you do realise that there is no requirement for switches above the worktop don’t you. I ask as you said you will need them implying it is a requirement.

Do it properly, not the cheapest way.
As I've said, I was merely mentioning the oft-cited reasons for using a SFCU where a switch would do. Having said that, there are virtually no significant downsides (other than a very slight aesthetic one) to using a SFCU, if that's what one decides to do.

As I've said, I was merely mentioning the oft-cited reasons for using a SFCU where a switch would do. Having said that, there are virtually no significant downsides (other than a very slight aesthetic one)
Speaking of aesthetics am I the only one who finds the look of (non-grid, non-essentials) MK 20A DP switches weird? they basically look like a FCU with the fuseholder missing.

Speaking of aesthetics am I the only one who finds the look of (non-grid, non-essentials) MK 20A DP switches weird? they basically look like a FCU with the fuseholder missing.
No, you're not the only one - they look just as you describe - so maybe they use essentially the same faceplate! Every other make of switch I can think of has the switch 'central' on the plate...
upload_2021-4-17_0-41-9.png
upload_2021-4-17_0-42-46.png

Kind Regards, John

Above the worktop isolation is handy if you have an elderly fridge or freezer that needs occasional defrosting. Also handy when you're doing a deep fluff dive in the tumble dryer.

Above the worktop isolation is handy if you have an elderly fridge or freezer ...
I think that with all the elderly fridges/freezers I've had (and, indeed, all the younger ones!) it has been possible to effectively 'turn them off' (e.g. for defrosting) with the temperature control/thermostat knob.

Kind Regards, John

I think that with all the elderly fridges/freezers I've had (and, indeed, all the younger ones!) it has been possible to effectively 'turn them off' (e.g. for defrosting) with the temperature control/thermostat knob.

Kind Regards, John
Tell my fridge that- the thermostat doesn't appreciate being adjusted, usually stops working for a week. Valid point though :)

Tell my fridge that- the thermostat doesn't appreciate being adjusted, usually stops working for a week. Valid point though :)
I've just looked at two or three of my current ones - they all actually have explicit 'Off' positions for the temp control knob on the thermostat - and even the interior light goes off when you rotate the knob to that position..

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back