Does this look ok? - Kitchen Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Any advice if these look ok? I have stripped the tiles & units from my kitchen and revealed some plugs that dont look quite right.

I hope my attempts at uploading pics work !

The cooker plug & small seperate socket is about 35cm to the right of the hob. Its looks as if its just been pushed into loose plaster & then tiled over. I want to replace these to something a bit more 'nicer on the eye' as they look a bit taty. Also the white wire connecting the two is loose.

The light switch has bare copper exposed and the screws that seem to reach the rear housing.

But there is a small single socket that powered the fridge/freezer tucked away behind the old units - this has no clicky on/off switch - is this ok (I have a few of these dotted around the house)

Sponsored Links
The cooker plug & small seperate socket is about 35cm to the right of the hob.
That's fine.

Its looks as if its just been pushed into loose plaster & then tiled over. I want to replace these to something a bit more 'nicer on the eye' as they look a bit taty. Also the white wire connecting the two is loose.
You can fill/plaster and they will be fine.
You will need to anyway for proper tiling.

The light switch has bare copper exposed and the screws that seem to reach the rear housing.
Shorten the bare copper.
You can get different length screws or carefully cut them (go round rather than straight across) and gently file to a tapered end.

But there is a small single socket that powered the fridge/freezer tucked away behind the old units - this has no clicky on/off switch - is this ok (I have a few of these dotted around the house)
Yes, all ok.

Sponsored Links
Those last 3 remind me of Rimmer and Kryten on Red Dwarf! :LOL:

This type of bodge gets my goat.

I know 433.2.2 is a get out, but it also makes reference to 434.2.1, which specifically suggests reinforcing the protection of the wiring against external influences.

If you're going to do that...

This type of bodge gets my goat.
Complying with the regulations is not the definition of a bodge.

I know 433.2.2 is a get out,
A get-out from being non-compliant?

but it also makes reference to 434.2.1, which specifically suggests reinforcing the protection of the wiring against external influences.
It's, what?, six inches long and going to be buried in the wall and tiled.

If you're going to do that...
...you may as well use 2.5mm² for spurs.

I take it you disagree for some reason.

light switch box needs earthing or earth sleeving - can't see which.
It looks like the old multi stranded cable without an earth conductor that went out of use in the 1960's. If it doesn't have an earth conductor, and the strands are breaking off or damaged, it's time for a rewire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back