Does new drainage need to be inspected by Building Control?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently DIY-installed a new waste water pipe to create a utility space in my garage (thanks to @Hugh Jaleak for the advice).

The pipe works great; water flows at a 1:40 gradient and goes into the existing drainage at the manhole at the back of our garden. Job's a gooden'. We've subsequently filled in the trench as we've building work starting on the property in the coming weeks, including a site visit from Building Control to inspect a load-bearing wall removal.

However, I'm now concerned reading online that I possibly should have informed Building Control so that they could inspect/test the new drain? Because we had to dig a trench through our tarmac, it's pretty apparent that new drainage was installed

Please could somebody advise whether we must notify Building Control of the new drains we've added? I've attached a diagram for reference.

KUOHi6f.png

Sponsored Links
Please could somebody advise whether we must notify Building Control of the new drains we've added?
Yes, preferably agreeing what you are doing before you do it.

Yes, preferably agreeing what you are doing before you do it.
Ah, oops - not ideal.

Am I better contacting them now and make them aware of my blunder, or play dumb when they come in a few weeks and resolve things then?

or play dumb when they come in a few weeks and resolve things then?
That will do. Just say you weren't aware of the requirements and apologise profusely. And make him/her a cuppa with a nice cake on the side.

Sponsored Links
That will do. Just say you weren't aware of the requirements and apologise profusely. And make him/her a cuppa with a nice cake on the side.
Trip to the local bakery it is, then. :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for your help.

My experience is, if you're DIYing your own place, they tend to look on you a little more favourably, as they hope you wont bodge your own place up! Just tell the BCO what you've done, throw in a few technical terms, e.g. 1:40 fall, pipes were bedded and surrounded with peagravel, backfill was carefully selected for initial cover, and they probably wont bat an eyelid.

My experience is, if you're DIYing your own place, they tend to look on you a little more favourably, as they hope you wont bodge your own place up! Just tell the BCO what you've done, throw in a few technical terms, e.g. 1:40 fall, pipes were bedded and surrounded with peagravel, backfill was carefully selected for initial cover, and they probably wont bat an eyelid.
Thanks, Hugh, that's put our minds at ease. We'll very happily explain that when the BCO comes for a visit (we even have photos of things like the pipe sitting on the bed of pea gravel), and hopefully, she'll realise that this is a case of naivety and nothing malicious.

Here's our handiwork based on your kind guidance:

ejufmQN.jpg

I doubt that BC will have any interest on what is going on outside their remit for a visit to site, if it worries you put that plastic sheet over the trench and a wheel barrow etc etc on top scattered around

Assuming it's replacing the existing gully, then it may actually be prudent to say nothing and see if she notices. A gully taking rainwater is hardly going to be at the top of her list of worries, if it's taking a WC then that's slightly different.

Only concern might be you're putting rainwater into the sewer when it may not have been before.

Tell them (if they ask), that you had a leak and repaired it.

Assuming it's replacing the existing gully, then it may actually be prudent to say nothing and see if she notices. A gully taking rainwater is hardly going to be at the top of her list of worries, if it's taking a WC then that's slightly different.

Only concern might be you're putting rainwater into the sewer when it may not have been before.
As its for a utility I expect foul water is the order of the day?

As its for a utility I expect foul water is the order of the day?
Looks like existing gully is taking rainwater and boiler condensate, not sure if the new gully is additional for the Utility Wastes or will replace the existing.

We've left the current rainwater & boiler condensate gully in, as this appears to drain to a soakaway, and added the new foul drainage separately for the sink & washing machine that'll be connected to it. We're not adding a WC.

I think we'll just keep quiet and see if she mentions anything. If she does, then we can happily explain what we've done but until she asks we'll say nothing and focus on the load-bearing wall we're removing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back