New toilet connection to sewage pipe - building regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a toilet and basin under my stairs. I didn't have the confidence to dig up my drive (which runs along the side of my property) to locate and cut into the pipe, so employed the services of a local builder chap.

He sent someone else around to do the actual work. This second guy dug a trench and finally found the sewer pipe, cut out a section, fitted a 'T' and branched into the house ready for me to connect my toilet and basin.

At no point were building regulations mentioned by either guy. Having read a few things online, I'm now worried building control should have been informed and haven't. Was the work already done notifiable? Is the future work notifiable? If so, do I now need to notify Building Control to inspect the work that's already been done and agree to the follow-up work? Is there a chance they'll insist the completed groundworks are dug up?

I've only been in the house 8 weeks and intend to be here for at least as many years. Is it something I could just let lie? :secret:

Edit: From my council's website:

•To install or alter the position of a WC, Shower, Bath, Basin, Sink and its drainage, etc?

Yes. In all cases, where the work involves new or an extension of drainage or plumbing. Unless the work is supervised by a registered installer.
Does this mean the drainage work already completed could all be above board; but the impending installation of the toilet & basin, by myself, won't be?

When they say registered installer, apart from obviously asking him and taking him at his word, what sort of accreditation am I looking for?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm not a plumber or a builder, but I am currently building an extension which includes a new shower and toilet.

Building control told me that I had to contact my waste/foul water company responsible for my area (southern water) who said that if my sewer was classed as a public sewer and I wanted to connect a new toilet/shower to the current sewer pipes I would need their permission first and they directed me to their website to download an application form for connecting to the sewer. Building control needed to see the permission before they would sign off on it.

Check your sewer map and speak to your waste water company to find out if your sewer pipe is Private or Public. If it is Public you would probably need permission from them first.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm talking pony, but this is what I had to do for mine.

As far as I am aware whilst the self certify facility is meant to exist the reality is that it does not.

A small builder friend has told me that he always provides the drawings all first.

Any new connection or modification to a foul drain should be inspected by the local BCI before its covered up.

I am told that anything needing building control approval or inspection can go forward if its not discovered by them within 12 months. But I am not sure that's correct!

That's of course when it apparently complies and is not an obvious infringement or health issue.

To9ny

I would be concerned about the fact he has fitted a T and not provided a chamber at the juntion, especially as a WC is to be fitted. Drains need to be accessible for clearance should there be a problem, working internally is not ideal when the drain is full of waste.....

Building inspector may insist on a manhole or at least some form of access is provided prior to approval. Building control should issue you with a certificate to indicate works are completed to their satisfaction once they're happy with it.

Sponsored Links
Drain Album

View media item 63935
The guy that did the work said he connected the pipe/elbow going into the house in such a way that it can be easily removed should the pipe need to be cleaned.

Edit: Sorry for the delay in uploading pictures. Should be an album for all to see now.

Can you put up a pic of what has actually been fitted? If they'd fitted a mini chamber instead of a T then that would have been perfectly adequate, suspect it was done as cheaply as possible, chamber £100ish, T about £7....

My dad has been around and he said his setup includes an elbow, like the one going into my house, but it has an inspection/rodding 'hatch'. Should I consider replacing mine with something like that, before I attach the toilet?

One of these?

View media item 63948

At the very minimum I would expect an access point above the elbow into the house.

There is probably a strong argument for having a ventilation stack going upwards from that point.

Fittings and pipe for underground is usually that buff colour so I am not sure about the black bit in the trench!

That seems to be your old chimney stack and nothing to do with drainage!

Shouldn't need ventilating, regs allow a pan to be directly connected to the drain provided the distance between the crown on the WC trap and the invert of the drain is less than 1.3m.

At very least that bend should be changed for an inspection bend, you wont get the pipework apart once it's all been concreted into the drive and the wall made good. Ideally needed to be golden brown pipe underground but not a major issue. Am however concerned if that washing up liquid has been used for lubricant on the seals, doesnt do them any favours. Proprietry lubricant should have been used.

I'd personally insist on a chamber instead of that T at the connection, better to fit it now whilst the excavation is still open. Pipework will need bedding in peagravel before backfill takes place.

Unfortunately, it's no longer open.

View media item 63933
He's coming back in a few weeks to remove the slabs and concrete it over. I suspect if I were to tell him to dig it out again and fit the chamber he'd want paying more £££.

He reused the dirt (lots of clay) to refill the hole. I didn't notice the use of any other materials.

The impression I'm getting is this was a less than ideal job, done on the cheap. :(

It may give you some bargaining power if you speak to Building Control, hypothetically and say what you 'hope' to do and see what their take is on how they'd expect it to be done. Then, armed with this info you might have some leverage with your builder. May scare him if you mention Building Control are coming out to inspect the new WC!

Failing that, pay him for work done so far, dispense with his services and then find someone to do the job properly! Wont be the first time i've gone in to redo someone else's earlier shoddy works.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back