New toilet connection to sewage pipe - building regulations?

Sponsored Links
More pics. :D No peagravel used to bed pipes. Lumps of clay are not approved as a bedding material, nor should be used in the inital layer of backfill over the pipes. :cry:

I'd give him the £320, doesnt seem worth arguing over, then tell him you no longer require his services and get it done properly. Apart from blockage/access issues, if you come to sell the house and cannot provide proof of Building Regs approval, then you may have problems. Retrospective certificate unlikely to be issued unless work is to spec. Lack of chamber on the junction may be enough for BCO to refuse to pass the work.

We've only been in the house 8 weeks and will probably be here for several years (8+). So selling with certificates isn't currently an issue, although maybe it should be... :oops:

All the pictures are in an album - Linky

Although maybe I should destroy the evidence in case BC ask to see them. I could always plead ignorance and tell them I assumed it was all done to regs as I instructed the services of a 'real' builder. ;)

Nobody has questioned what I said earlier about BCO only having 12 months to object to work being done without approval as long as the work is not sub standard.

If that is correct then sitting it out for a year would seem a good possibility to consider.

Sponsored Links
I found your extra pics hence the :D Not everyone takes pics so building inspector is unlikely to ask unless you volunteer. ;)

Up to you ultimately, but personally would want to provide some sort of rodding access externally, even if just an inspection bend. Nothing worse than a full pan and no way of getting to the drain without removing the pan first..... :cry:

As far as I am aware Tony, Building Control can approve work retrospectively, provided it is up to regs. The problem can arise though when a property comes to be sold. Any work done that the vendor cannot provide certs for may need to be certified retrospectively, and in the case of drains, may need to be exposed to be checked.....

I will be at the very least fitting an access bend of some sort. I need to run the waste from the basin to the pipe anyway, so I'm thinking something like 92.5° (87.5°) Branch Black SP190 with a Black Screw-On End Cap SP292?

I'm also looking at one of these (as I'd be able to rod from 12 o'clock & 3 o'clock) but have a question about the connections - the connection at 6 o'clock appears to be female. I need a male, to fit into the pipe coming out of the ground. Can these parts be altered to accomplish that, e.g. remove the ring and seal?

Leaving it is something I would consider doing. My only worry is the 'as long as it is up to regs...' bit - it's what would be required to show that it is. But that'd be a problem for me to face in 10 years or so. ;)

Since at the minimum it should normally have an inspection chamber at the junction I don't see that it could never be considered to meet the regs.

But there are many fitted like that. It will also be likely to always work properly even without the pea shingle bedding etc.

Tony

He's coming back in a few weeks to remove the slabs and concrete it over. I suspect if I were to tell him to dig it out again and fit the chamber he'd want paying more £££.

The impression I'm getting is this was a less than ideal job, done on the cheap. :(

The slabs look quite neat. I don't see any need to replace them with concrete and would make it more complicated to do any remedial work if anything went wrong with building control.

I agree its a less than ideal job and a bit expensive for what has been done.

For a less skilled person £100 per half day seems more than expected.

The trouble is that to have done it properly is not a lot more work! Just a few more parts!

Tony

He's coming back in a few weeks to remove the slabs and concrete it over. I suspect if I were to tell him to dig it out again and fit the chamber he'd want paying more £££.

The impression I'm getting is this was a less than ideal job, done on the cheap. :(

The slabs look quite neat. I don't see any need to replace them with concrete and would make it more complicated to do any remedial work if anything went wrong with building control.

I agree its a less than ideal job and a bit expensive for what has been done.

For a less skilled person £100 per half day seems more than expected.

The trouble is that to have done it properly is not a lot more work! Just a few more parts!

Tony

And that's annoying. :mad:

At the end of the day it's done now.

As far as I'm concerned what you paid is little money.

If the toilet get blocked then rodding the pan would clean most blockages. (with a 100mm rubber plunger)

Worst case would be drilling a hole in the outside pipe work to jet to the main drain line.

Enjoy your new house.

Andy

If you're happy to leave it, i'd just replace the top bend for an access bend. Basin waste can be connected via a strap boss, or alternatively, internally, using a pan connector with a boss connection.

Bend replaced with a 'Branch 110mm 92.5° Double Black'. Side boss ready for when the toilet is plumbed. I didn't use washing-up liquid. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back