Does paint go off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm going to do some painting on new plaster. I have a 10 litre tub of Dulux pure brilliant white and it has been stored under the stairs in the house. It's been opened (1/4 of paint left) and kept for about a year, would this be ok to use?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Providing the container was sealed andthe paint has not been subjected to frost you should be fine to use it.

Dec

it has been stored under the stairs in the house.

Providing the container was sealed andthe paint has not been subjected to frost you should be fine to use it.

Frost under the stairs, thats a new one on me :confused:

As long as the paint has been sealed then it should be okay. Remove the lid and check. You'll soon be able to tell.

Make sure you thin the paint down accordingly for you first coat, I assume you know this.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
It looks ok, just got a bit of yellow on the top so will need a good stir. Its been sat under stairs all the time and yeah I know to thin the first coat :)

Thanks

Phil

What you see on the top is the binder of the paint, so give it a darn good stir.

Dec

unfortunately i've never been to Wales.

Sorry Dec :D

Maybe one day.

My partner's from Wales.

if it is a metal tin, part used, the lid will not seal as tight as a plastic tub.

If it is a metal tin, with a water-based paint like emulsion, there may be rust at the bottom, so for safety pour it slowly into a plastic tub. If you stir it you may mix rust into the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back